• In the Spotlight:

I am invited to an engagement party & I really have no clue what kind of a gift is appropriate. Any ideas?

They are having 90 guest & it is being celebrated in a room in the lobby of the place their family lives. There will be food catered. The wedding isn't for another two years ( long engagement). My question is... Is it customary to give a gift & what kind of a gift? Because I presume then comes the bridal shower & wedding, so what does one give for this occassion ? Oh, and they are not living together if this helps. Any suggestions will be appreciated~ Many thanks in advance!

Bellafleurs

Asked by Bellafleurs at 1:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Shopping

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • We didn't get our friends anything because we made a long trip 8 hours just to be there. They told us not to get them a gift because of that. I know they got wine and stuff like that. Maybe get them a gift card to one of their favorite places to eat.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i think you give money for something like that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would get them a card that says congrats!! I mean...really? Isn't it enough that SHE will probably get a gift from you at the bridal shower, and then probably a wedding gift too? AND 90 people at an engagement party? I don't think a gift is really needed! IMO it's a little over the top and especially if the wedding is TWO YEARS AWAY....Who's to say it will happen. A lot can happen in two years! (not to wish bad thoughts, just being realistic)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'd probably get towels. As you say, there will be a shower gift and a wedding gift, so I wouldn't get something really expensive, and towels are pretty useful.

Answer by Bmat at 3:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I just attended an engagement party in June. The party was over the top and a formal occasion. My friends are getting married in Austrailia in March 2010, so the engagement party was thrown for the guests who would not be making it to the wedding. They are both living in NYC. I gave a Lenox picture frame off of their registry. A lot of other people gave gifts off their registry.
    MaWolf

Answer by MaWolf at 8:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No gifts for engagements parties.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It is a customary to offer gifts during an engagement. Engagement gifts is a tricky question it depends whom are you presenting gifts.

However, there are various wonderful option available for you to choose a gifts for the engagement party like flowers and cards is good choice for your friends also I would suggest you to checkout this website as i have brought birthday gift for my best friend from http://www.b2cjewels.com/giftideas.aspx

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Thanks to all who responded, it was greatly appreciated! Great day ladies! :)
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 4:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009