how do i shut my dog up?

my dog barks at people he doesn;t know, whether they are in my yard or across the road. if someone comes over he will bark at them until they leave, even if its hours later. anyone got any ideas how to make him stop?

momandytai

Asked by momandytai at 1:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pets

• You need to train him... Dont feed into his barking, dont yell at him or punish him for it. When he is barking get his attention away from whatever it is he is barking at and block his view of the person. Dont be too aggressive(this will make him bark more) and dont be too jittery when blocking him. Stand tall and bring him away from it. Allow him again to be in front of the person and if he does it again, move him away from it... Continue this and your dog will eventually put two and two together.
    You can also include treats for when he does come into contact with people and doesnt bark.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• shoot it
    Anonymous

• Take him to a disobedient school or I hate to sound cruel buy your dog a shock collar atleast like this you can shush him up at your leature. Just don't bump it up too high you can hurt him. Start with the lowest and go from there. GLpuppyOr buy a muzzle.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Watch the dog whisperer. he's a little odd but works wonders!!!
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/
    nikimullins

Answer by nikimullins at 4:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree about dog whisperer. he steps in front of the dog and taps the dog to get it's attention, then if the dog even looks that way, tugs the leash and controls where the dog looks. it works. I kinda use his way with my chihuahua who likes to bark at people at my door and she goes to lay down if i do things I learned on Dog Whisperer...there's videos online about certain topics he teaches you on, like barking at people. or attacking other dogs...
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 4:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• First off, enroll in an obedience class. Even if it doesn't focus on the issue of incessant barking, the process of teaching your dog obedience requests (heel, etc.) will enforce that you are the master and they are your pet. Regaining authority will do wonders for your dog.

Second, your dog is exhibiting watch dog behavior. This can be a good thing. My dog barks at people who come to the house and strangers on walks (sometimes), and it used to annoy me. But one time we were out hiking and it got dark early. My dog and I were hiking back toward the car and were several miles away. We were all alone, and there were strangers on the trail...you know, strange men. And at that moment I loved that my dog was my guard and barked at them.

Have visitors greet the dog, let the dog sniff them. It will probably calm down after "meeting" them.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2009