What would you think about your childs teacher playing the sitar for lessons, having a statue of a Mushroom on his desk, and having super long hair, and using curse words?

I didn't believe this to be true, I thought she was lying to try to push my buttons.
Than I went to parents day, and WATCHED this man gather all the children in a circle, play the Sitar, sing, and do a lesson that way. Also he DID have a very colorful, "trippy" mushroom proudly displaied on his desk.
And black light posters and posters of his band all over the wall.
I mean, I guess I care, but as long as she is leaning, I can't say much.
How would you feel?
This is a high school teacher.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If she is learning the subject as she should be, then OK, except for the cussing, that is unacceptable and I'd tell the teacher so and then if it didn't stop I'd talk with the principal.

Answer by Bmat at 1:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• What class is he teaching? Do the kids learn well the way he is teaching? I know my son would probably enjoy this type of teaching. When he was little we would sing his spelling words, he never missed a spelling word in 6 years.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The only thing that would get me would be the language. Music is actually one of the best learning tools. You put something to song, and it sticks in memory better. Provided he is teaching relevant subject matter, and his lesson plans are accurate to the curriculum, then I would just mention the language to him, and let him teach.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• He is a Creative writing, 9th &10th grade English, and Classics of Horror teacher.

Anonymous

• Sounds like an awesome, unique teacher to me. As long as he is teaching them what he supposed to be teaching them, then great. Why judge him for the way he looks or his personal lifestyle? As long as he is there doing the job he supposed to do.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The absolute only thing I would have a problem with is the cursing. Other than that...I mean I am sure the other teachers and principal of the school are well aware of what is in the teachers room, and what he is teaching in his curriculum. It has to be passed by the principal...So...I would just speak to him about the cursing, and as long as your son is actually learning something, than I don't think I would complain that much, however that is just me :)

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 2:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I missed the cursing part. It depends on what words he uses, I don't consider hell a bad word nor do I consider damn. But that is just my opinion, if this bothers you child then talk to the teacher. BUT it sounds like a good teacher. Music is a great learning tool,as I stated before my son does very well when we use music as a way to remember things. He is an incoming freshman and we have used music to remember with since he was in Kindergarden. It works great!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• O.P here, I do think his teachings are very well rounded, and my DD loves the classes and passes with FLYING colors, its just the bad words, and mushroom statue that bothers me a bit. I mean, this man has "I SMOKE POT" written all over him, do I care what he does in his own time, HECK NO, more power to him, but should that kind of statue be on his desk, probably not?
    Anonymous

• OP I am sorry to say this, but it sounds like you are closed minded towards this man. I would love for my son to have a teacher that teaches like this, seriously.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• What is a sitar?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009