Help!

We're home form the hospital now, and I haven't ever changed a diaper. I was soooo tired after birth that the nurses did it for me. I feel like I'm going to break her, but dang that dipaer is full and needs to go. Do I need wipes if its just pee? Rash stuff? Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always wipe just in case...my daughter is almost 2.
    Anonymous

• Yes u need wipes. Go onto you tube and type in how to change a diaper. Basically clean from the cleanest to the dirtiest place on the vaginal and anal area. U dont need cream all the time but it acts as a good barrier.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Pee is acidic and can cause open areas and rash if u do not use wipes.
    kirsty_mcgrail

• Probably don't need wipes for pee. You want to get all the poop from the cracks. You don't need creams or powder and only rash stuff if there is rash.

You may see many small stools a day if you are breastfeeding.

If you can use paper towels or wash cloths and water it is better for the baby. The wipes have lots of chemicals in them and can give the baby a rash. They give me rashes. You can make a batch of paper towel wipes with water, olive oil, and gentle soap like castle.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Google "how to change a diaper". Good luck, those Velcro tabs can be super tricky.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Always wipe from front to back, especially for girls. No need for diaper cream unless she has a rash. Get used to it - you'll be changing a lot! lol Good luck.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Um you really do need to wipe if there is only pee. Do u wipe yourself after you have only peed on the toilet. There is a reason for it.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'm stumped at the "I've never changed a diaper before" part. How did you not get around to asking that before the baby arrived? Seriously, I'm curious.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• ok......to avoid a mess....open the new diaper before you change the baby. Place it under the baby with the dirty diaper on, with the tabs on the back side.....facing you, not on the front side facing away from you. get out a wipe, yes you need to use atleast one wipe even for a pee diaper. undo the tabs on the dirty diaper, slide it from under the baby, keeping the new diaper in place. lay the dirty diaper to the side, still open. wipe from front to back, getting all cracks in between. fold the new diaper over the baby, and place the wipe inside the old diaper. stretch the new diaper in the front around the baby's waste makin sure its straight. then hold in place with one hand, pull one tab and pull over to the belly button in the front of the diaper. press gently to make it stick, then do the same with the other side. now that the baby has a clean diaper on, you can roll the other diaper up.....front side rolled...continued.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 2:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• into the back, with the dirty wipe inside. secure the tabs tightly and toss into the trash. grab you baby and give a BIG hug.....and ur finished!!!! Hope i helped and good luck with the future!!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 2:56 AM on Aug. 1, 2009