How do I explain Gay/Lesbian relationships to my 6 year old daughter?

My daughter has been asking questions about what it means to be gay. I am the kind of parent who wants to explain as much as I can as soon as she asks. This question surprised me because silly me! I didn't think she noticed. I don't want her to be judgmental and I don't want to leave it up to others to explain this to my daughter. Have any of you had lengthy discussions about this? Are there any gay/lesbian families in CafeMom land that can give me some insight as to how I should handle this?

CrazyForHer

Asked by CrazyForHer at 2:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you want to keep it simple though...its a six year old mind trying to wrap around this idea so it might be hard for them to understand...as i explained to mine, its when a man loves a man and a woman loves a woman...she asked me "is that okay?" i told her of course it is! you cant help who you love! she seemed to accept that....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• be prepared for "I love you/daddy/my best friend, does that make me gay?" as well. I just explained that there is a difference between family love, love for friends and romatic love like married people have.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My 8 year old asked about it around the same age. I just explained that some people choose to be with another man or woman. She accepted this and really doesn't ask too many more questions. They know more than we think they know. They are really smart. Just wait "sex" questions start coming up quite frequently after a while. The best bet is to answer as truthful as you can without volunteering extra information.
    Anonymous

• I didn't think it was that hard or complicated. My kids asked when they were preschool age. I just told them that some boys like boys and some girls like girls. Simple, to the point. They excepted it as normal and went on with their lives.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your answers thus far. My daughter did not seem satisfied with the some boys like boys and some girls like girls. That was my initial answer to her questions. She wants to know why, how and is it wrong. I like blueeyedgrl2377's answer to this question. You can't help who you love - Your absolutely right, I just didn't have the words at the time. I will bring up the topic this time and I will be using that answer. Thanks so much for all your help!
    CrazyForHer

Answer by CrazyForHer at 5:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had to deal with this question a couple of years ago when my brother came out. My youngest two sons wanted to know why there uncle rob didn't have a wife and i just told them that he loved his boyfriend and that it was ok for him to not have a wife that his boyfriend was like his wife and that they should love him too as a uncle and just know that it does matter who you love as long as it is a happy love . they bought it and they have a wonderful relationship with there uncle's and it is a very strong relationship and they stand up to there friends when someone says something negitive about it and they are teenagers now.
    bamamom2212

Answer by bamamom2212 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009