HELP! My well behaved 3 year old has become very defiant....

My 3 year old has stopped following directions almost altogether. We have tried time outs and limiting access to favorite toys, but nothing seems to work. He does understand when we tell him not to do something because he will try to sneak it....How can I get him to listen again before my husband and I lose our sanity?

rfollis

Asked by rfollis at 2:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know what i mean, i have a 1,2, and 5yr old. U could try setting up a playpen in a seperate room, and when he acts up put him in it for 3minutes, it works with my 2 in a half yr old, but if he is capible of climbing out, mybe u could just put him in his bedroom and close the door for 3min, hope this helps
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• This is normal. One day your child will be four, and be a nice little person.

Be consistent with rewards and punishments.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Consistent consequences, reward good behavior and compliance with praise and rewards. Give him choices whenever possible and let him be in charge when he can.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I forgot to say that when you ask him to do something and he is defiant and refuses to do what you ask him to. Tell him, "You need to do....... or I will help you to do............." Then if he does what you ask, Praise him loudly and proudly. If he does not do what you asked, then you "help" him to complete the task you asked him to do. Ex. If he does not pick up his toys when you ask him to, then use those same phrases and gently take his hands and help him pick up the toys and put them away. This way he will learn to listen and do what you ask or he will be "helped"
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thanks all! I know my son's behavior isn't uncommon for his age but it's good to have the support! I'll be counting down the days until he's 4....
    rfollis

Answer by rfollis at 1:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2009