what do you do if your child refuses food?

my 3 year old won't eat!!! its not like he takes a few bites here and a few bites there, he won't eat... I give him nutrapals for breakfast cause he will drink a whole one, but then he won't eat anything til dinner... if I don't give him the nutrapals he just eats lunch and that's all... I tried only giving him water so he not filling up on liquids but that doesn't work, tried all kinds of food, tried letting him pick what we eat, tried letting him help prepare meals... nothing... what can I do? he needs more than one meal a day!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh yea and I've tried making him sit all day... nothing!!! HELP!!!!
    Anonymous

• Maybe the nutripals is "blowing up" his stomach and making him full? I know that has happened to me with those meal drink type things. However, kids will not starve themsevles. If he is hungry enough, he WILL eat. If you are concerned though maybe talk to his doctor.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My 2 in a half yr old does that, she did that for about 3mths straight, the dr said it will pass, keep offering meals( no snacks) limit milk and fillinf beverages. He wont strave hell eat eventually. Talk to your dr also, they may have some more ideas
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• don't force the food, he will only lose his appitite more
    angels4262

• also try http://www.parentkidsright.com/pt-toddlerwonteat.html. really good tips
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Sometimes children pick up on a parent's anxiety about eating, then the child gets anxious or feels that this is a way to get attention, maybe (I think anxious.) If the parent chills, offers water or milk, doesn't make a big deal about eating or not, the child can relax and pay attention to hunger. Mainly it is good to keep the child hydrated. Offer, as you already have, tiny portions of a variety of stuff. If the child only wants bread, then some bread, if only yogurt, then yogurt. If you feel that he is losing weight or acts as though he is listless or unhealthy, have him evaluated by a doctor. My nephew didn't seem to eat- only a few snack foods- for a long time. Now he is 6 1/2 ft and a strong guy.

Answer by Bmat at 3:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• op here- I started the nutrapals because he was only eating one meal a day... I'm as relaxed as I can be but he's skin and bones... I can see his ribs and it just sickens me... but he is usually quite active and full of energy. he seems completely healthy in all other aspects but this one meal a day is driving me nuts! I'm glad its dinner as that's the meal with the most nutrition in our house, but its the same size as when he was a year old... how can that be enough food for a 3 year old ALL DAY? we have his 3 year old check up today so I'm going to bring it up with his doctor then. I just wanted some advice from other moms who have (or may still be) going through this same situation... so thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

• I always offer food-well my son just tells me he is hungry. Anyways, I offer food and if he does not want to eat, so be it. He will eat when he is hungry is my motto with kids. But I only offer one thing and it something I know he will eat.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Contact his doctor.
    LadyLuck13

Answer by LadyLuck13 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If your child is not gaining weight properly you need to get him evaluated. He may have a sensory issue. Is he a picky eater?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2009