How do you and s/o split the bills?

I'm pretty much SOL because I got this place by myself and all bills are in my name...he knows I HAVE to pay bills on time.....I let him know WAY in advance and keep reminding him...then he gives excuses and pays me like a third of what is fair....and another thing....he actually said to me...I think its unfair for me to pay half the electric bill cause you turn the air down when we're in bed.......WTF!!! I turn it down to 76 before I go to sleep then when we get up the air goes back up to 78!!!!! What method have you figured out with you s/o? I've kicked him out twice over this and he makes me feel guilty because I'M the one breaking up our family!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband has most of his paycheck direct deposited into my account. He keeps a few hundred a month for spending money but the rest goes into to my account to pay bills. He used to just deposit it himself, but things would "come up." You know like a new clunker car, or some other useless item. Now he saves up to buy what he wants and it's cut way down on his spending.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• IMO, you have to have a family budget. Sit down with him and write down how much all the bills are for the month. Open a joint account that is only for bills, you can still keep your seperate accounts. Then each week you each deposit the set amount into the joint account. He needs to be as responsible as you are for your families bills. If he isn't willing to do this, then he is a moocher.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no theres no split.. i do it all.. he doesnt have a clue when things are to get paid, he spends to much money to know.. so we have a jiond acct that our work puts into, then we have a sep for each of us so we know what we have to play with.. "split the bills".. lol we would be screwed..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• All of our money goes in one account that we both own, and I pay all of the bills out of that. We have a bit of cash in the house, and we both help ourselves as we need it. When it is gone, we go to the bank and get some more. Before we married we talked about how we would handle money, and this has always worked for us.

Answer by Bmat at 3:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My two adult sons and I have been sharing a house. My one son gives me a set amount every paycheck. The other pays certain bills. It sounds like a set amount might work well for you. You could all up how much everything usually costs, say $1000. Then add up what you each make a month, say you $1200 and him $1000. It would probablly be fair for you to pay $550 and him $450. If he gets paid every 2 weeks he gives you $225. It's your job to make sure you have the money at the right times.

He will figure out some months he gets 3 checks and he should get to keep that check. No way. You still have to pay some of the bills for that time like power. You are also paying more all the time and are taking the responsibility of everything. Paying $450 a month for everything is a great deal.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my hubby has no clue what are bills are he just doesn't want to worry about it. We put all our money in the account pay the bill I tell him how much we have for neccessary spending and for fun spending. He once got mad that we were short on cash so I showed him our budget spreadsheet and he stared at it for 10 minutes and then said he was going fishing LOL. I think if you live with someone all income and bills are lumped together.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 3:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My husband pays all of the bills. I usually don't even see a bill unless it's because I checked the mail...but then it's only the outside of the envelope. We're pretty comfortable, so I just let him take care of finances.
    Anonymous

• I pay the rent because I make more money. SO usually pays the utilities and the cell phones, but on occasion I'll throw some money in if he doesn't have enough to cover it. When we have money left over, I'll use my money to buy my personal things and other stuff he pays for, like movies or going out to eat.
    Anonymous

• No spliting. Even when I worked all our money went into a joint account and we paid bills out of that. We are married though and what is his is mine and what is mine is his. It is our money. I am not sure how a couple simply living together with no real commitment gets past this. Maybe kick him out.
    Anonymous

• All of our money goes to a joint account. While he can access the bills, I manage them all, have a small budget set up, etc. I'm an accountant, it's kinda my thing. :) But the bills are either in his name or both unless it's a credit card. But I pay them all on time since both paychecks go to our joint account. If there's something major either of us wants to purchase, we discuss it first. We're married so I don't believe in "splitting" the bills or tracking the money or care who makes more. It's our money and our expense.
    Anonymous