My son is only getting 10-15 oz of formula a day.

He just doesn't seem to want to eat from the bottle. I thought it was teething as he has 2 teeth coming in, but, he usually eats at least 20 oz when teething.

I'm trying to cut down on Cheerios for snacks and we give him 3 jars of food a day, sometimes an extra stage 2 if he's still hungry.

Should I be worried that he's not getting the recommend 24-30 oz a day? He'll be 11 months on Sunday. Should I call the doctor and see what he says? Or wait it out a bit longer to see if it is just teething?

Sorry, I"m a first-time mom and just always concerned! At 9 months he was just above 10th percentile in weight so I'm always worried that he's not gaining enough!

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is old enough to drink from a cup. My breastfed grandbaby that is the same age drinks great from a cup.

He doesn't need jar food. You can just chop food for him to feed himself or mash it and spoon feed. Jar food has a lot of water, is expensive, and most of it doesn't taste that good. Adding olive oil to avacodo can add some extra calories of good fat if you are concerned about weight. Other easy foods to start are banana and sweet potatoe. Just microwave a sweet potatoe until soft (depends on size).

He can eat yogurt and cheese. Yo baby is good but a little expensive (not compared to what you've been spending). He should be eating meat for iron. He doesn't need any baby cereals.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My 10 month old drinks four 6 oz. bottles a day (24 oz. total), along with water after eating three small meals of fruits, veggies, turkey and lamb that I make and jar myself with a food processor... he always eats this much, even when he's teething. Of course, every baby is different and some are better eaters than others. I think you're taking a step in the right direction by cutting back on Cherrios, because there's not a whole lot of nutrition in those. I'm not a doctor, but I would think that you wouldn't really need snacks if your baby was getting plenty of food at meal times. Maybe it would help if you tried sticking to a feeding schedule? Either way, you should probably speak to your doc about it.
    Anonymous

• I think around a year, the appetitate changes anyway. Once I introduced a sippy, my daughter too much less than from the bottle. you can cut back on the 4th mean and just give ceral + fruit in am, veggie or meat at lunch and any of them at dinner kinda of thing. Then small snacks between each mean (3 snacks is probably reasonable at this age). Once they switch to milk, they will take a bit less too. My daughter takes 3 glasses of milk (maybe 15-20 oz total each day when she was 1) then watered down juice and water for snacks. She's 2 and only 24 lbs, but has been growing consistantly and eats all the time. He's probably fine, but if in doubt, talk to the doc. He may recommend a vitimain.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it too much... I would really push for around 16 oz per day... but at 12 month (which is coming up) they are only supposed to have about 16 oz... so if he is eating well I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009