TMJ anyone know some relief?

I have pain from my neck to my teeth, ears and head and I took some tylenol and today some sudifed and I can't get the pain to go away. Anyone know of anything that can help.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 3:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• I know of alot of people that go to the chiropracter for this, we had several clients that got relief from it, also we had several dentists send people to us before the apt. to help during their visit.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My dentist made me a bite guard that I wear at night when I notice that I am clenching. I don't think that sudafed would do much (?) I'd try something like aspirin or advil or alleve, they might be better for reducing inflammation. I also use a heating pad when I have the problem, although some find that ice is better. I also lie down and make myself not clench, not grind, it means relaxing my jaw a lot.

Answer by Bmat at 3:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• TMJ is a lot more than grinding the teeth and clenching. TMJ causes pain and a misaligned jaw, my aunt had TMJ and had to haave her jaw surgically broken and wired for 6 weeks in order to realign her jaw. This was after years of pain and her jaw popping out of place. You can try Advil or a chiropractor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had it so bad that at one point I could only eat applesauce and yogurt for about a week. My dentist made a night guard for me which helped but I tore that thing apart, even though it was really heavy duty. I apparently grind my teeth big time.

There are many things that I do daily to keep my jaw from bothering me. If I don't do these things my jaw will hurt from the TMJ! I avoid eating things that are crunchy, like hard candy, potato chips, nuts, etc. I avoid gum like the plague, that's the worst. I also avoid popcorn. I avoid anything chewy, if I have to work hard to chew it, it will set off TMJ. Sorry if TMI, but no BJ's either! I also make sure that I'm not clenching my jaw when awake, I make sure my teeth are never touching. I also try to avoid popping my jaw.

Hope that helps! It has helped me out, I've been following that for years with much success!
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 4:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't know! Have you gotten any more Relief from what you tried? Maybe A temp. Fix would be to do heat & ice packs alternately? I don't know! But if for sure you have it. You might need to be treated some where! Do you get Migraines? I do. People always Suspected I have this. I hope you feel Better soon. If it does really bother you get some Help!! Because its horrible to live in pain. I know I do! Plus+ I can't think you can function too well or Eat Right this Way either! I hope you can figure this out! Do you get the right nutrition? Enough Calcium/ Vitamin D.Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i have suffered with tmj or 30 yrs and i had my dentist make me mouth pieces to sleep in and use during the day when my pain is at it's worste. I use a heating pad at night when my jaw is real tight. I have learned that no matter how u choose to deal with it your jaw will always win in the pain control. My jaw jumps out of place alot and is quite painful but if i wear my splits and use a heating pad the pain is at a mimuim. Good luck.
    bamamom2212

Answer by bamamom2212 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I heard that a cure for most TMJ is actually botox shots. Ask your doctor.
    Squishysmom2

Answer by Squishysmom2 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2009