After having a kid, when is the best time to start trying to have another?

My mother had children every two years and my sister's are 15 months apart. I just had my first 6 weeks ago and am not planning on trying again anytime soon just wondering when to. What do you think? A year? Two? More?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 3:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's healthiest to wait two years, but it depends so much more on your family's situation. Whenever you are ready, that's a good time.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The World Health Organization used to say wait 2 years before trying to get pregnant. Now they have done more studies and say 3.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My son is 15 months old and we're hoping to get pregnant as soon as my 21st birthday - which is next week - is out of the way.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 4:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When you are ready to! But a piece of advice: give your body a break. Wait at least a year. It takes up to one year for a body to completely recover-all-systems-are-go, mentally and physically, from childbirth. Taking care of two babies that are close in age is very, very difficult. If you are breastfeeding, I think you should wait even longer-1.5 to 2 years. That is just my opinion. You should have another when you feel emotionally and physically ready, not to mention financially ready. :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 4:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My boys were 13.5 months apart and it was TOUGH!!! The rest of my kids are 3 years apart and it is much nicer.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I've always heard 2 years....but I don't really think that's the same for everyone. Some people need more time than others. I got pregnant with my 2nd after 1.5 years and then after having my 2nd I got pregnant after 3 months. My youngest 2 are 1 year and 1 day apart. And i did fine...however i did run a little bit of a higher risk of premature birth with my last....but she came exactly 3 weeks early so she was full term.
    JessMomof2boys

Answer by JessMomof2boys at 5:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• That is totally up to and what feel right for your family. My son just turned 1 and I am very ready to try again... my husband isn't so sure. So we shall see.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'd say 3 years...
    Dylanmom731

Answer by Dylanmom731 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009