My MIL makes me Crazy!!!! I know that this has probably been posted a million times but here goes my problem.

My MIL is nice enough and acts like she loves to be around my kids but anytime we ask her to watch either or both of them she always has something more important going on like going to the gas station and scratching lottery tickets. But if she asks to see them I better bring them over right away or she gets her panties in a twist. I feel like she only wants to act like a grandparent when it is conveinent for her. The other day I asked her to keep my 2 kids for 1 hour and she said oh I don't know let my talk to my husband (FIL) then I'll calll you back. She never even returned my call. But on Tuesday I was taking them to the Fair and she got all upset because she called Tuesday and wanted to take them to the fair. I told her she could join us but she said they would just take my dd the next night. Sorry this is so long but I just want to know what some other moms would do.

KatSul

Asked by KatSul at 4:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Be happy you've got it so lucky. MY MIL trashes me to everyone she meets; she tried to stop our wedding; she tried to cause me to have a miscarriage, and she threatened to take our son away from us. We changed our phone numbers and cut off contact with her, but she calls my husband's command and harrasses them until they make him call her.
    Don't rely on her for babysitting; find someone else. You can't force her to want to do it.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 4:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I dont have a mil I wish I did
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• its sounds weird but maybie she dont want babysitt she does not have to
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• remeber shes the one missing out
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i use to fight with my mil all the time and she too had other important things to do she lives 2 blocks away and has not try to see my kids since november 2008. its their lost not mine
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 4:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I know its her loss but my dd (3yr) is now getting old enough to ask to see grandma and I don't know what to say when grandparents don't want to see her. I usually say their at work but we only live a block away and now she says Grandmas Car is there I say they must have walked. MIL is always making my dd promises like you should come over tommorrow and swim in my pool then bailing on the plan and my dd is so upset and thinks I'm not letting her go. I purposly drive the long way home so that my dd won't see their house and ask to got there or see them. I just hate to see her hurt.
    KatSul

Answer by KatSul at 4:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'd stop being at her beck and call. And I'd find another person to watch the kids in a pinch.

You can also institute a weekly family get-together. Dinner on Sunday or something like that, with an open invitation.

Above all...get your husband to talk to her.

And tell the kids NOTHING about plans unless you're going to the house.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• just say that she is busy thats something your kid needs to figure out on their own,never let your kid hear you talking about it
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I keep asking MIL not to mention plans to her or in front of her because this happens and she still does it. Trust me I know better than to let her in on plans.
    KatSul

Answer by KatSul at 4:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Ask your dh to talk to her and don't come over and drop everything anymore for her.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2009