New Puppy ?'s

We just got a puppy. She's about 2 mths old so just left her mother.

We've been trying to get her to go potty outside but she refuses. She seems fearful of the outdoors, not sure if thats normal or cuz of the heat or what.

Any ideas on how to get her ok being outside and going potty or would a litterbox be better,etc?

I dont want to freak her out by forcing the outdoors but its only been a few days too. Not sure how long it takes to get them used to going outside and getting the idea thats where the potty goes...kwim?

She's a tea cup poodle if that helps so she isnt very big nor will she get very big.

Thanks for any advice!

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pets

• I concur with the crate training, and the moving the poop.

However, to get her to be ok with going outside, since she is a little dog, the big outdoors can be SCARY! That'd be like you walking onto an airforce base with planes zipping by. She needs some encouragement, because just shoving her out the door and expecting her to know what to do won't work. Plan a quick walk, 10 or 15mins. Have DH do it while you cook, or vice versa. Walking will encourage her to pee and or poop, and when she does, praise her like a maniac. Get her wound up and excited! Do this every time she goes, and she will get the hang of it.

I know she's young, but it's never too early to reprimand her for going in the house. Whatever you do, DO NOT paper train her. My most recent dog was paper trained and it took us 8 mos to get her to pee outside instead of on our shoes, bed, rugs, everything that wasn't the floor!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Take ur dog out every few hours. a puppy cant hold it long when they r young and fearful of the outdoors but if you keep taking her out she becomes less fearful and more adventurous. A happy dog is one that see's and smells new thing often. Also do not yell at her for going indoors just clean it up and take her outside. When she does go outside give her a treat. Also check out this site. Cesar can give you lots of tips to have a happy healthy dog.
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/
    nikimullins

Answer by nikimullins at 4:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thanks!
    Ya we arent making a big deal of her going indoors. We've been taking her out every 1-2 hrs but so far she just runs to the door and cries.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When you take her outside, have her on a leash so she can't run back for the door. Talk to her and try to make her feel more and more comfortable each time and eventually she'll get used to it. If you can, time her as to how often she goes, and try to take her out around that timeframe.

What we did with our dog, because it was winter, was let her go inside on the wee-wee pads. Once she got that down to a science, we took the wee-wee pads and moved them outside and eventually she caught on.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Are you crate training her? That is the most valuable tool in housebreaking a puppy. At her age I would be taking her out ever hour, after she eats, and whenever she wakes up from a nap. If you wait long enough she will eventually go outside and then praise her like crazy.

Also, crazy as it may sound, when she poops inside, pick it up and take it outside and put it where you want her to potty. The scent will encourage her to go outside.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 12:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thank you ladies.
    Ill be walking her in the mornings. I have my son go out with her, so he can have some responsibility but I do have to keep an eye out LOL.

I appreciate your help.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2009