im having a hard time getting my baby to latch on. he is only a week old tomorrow, is there still hope? any pointers?

help with latching on

Asked by thomson91407 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my! I am having the same problem as you.

My baby is two weeks and 1 day old. We have had a hard time with her latching on from the get go. I have had to supplement formula because my milk production isn't as strong as it should be. I am barley pumping 1 oz. But the milk that I do pump, she gobbles that down! She prefers my breast milk from the formula, yet, wont latch on to the nipple =/

I hope there is some hope for us. I would love to have the experience of her being able to nurse off of me =/

I will be awaiting answers along with you =)

Btw, congrats on your new baby

Answer by at 9:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Yes there's hope. Go to or they have actual pics of how to properly latch and tips to get lo to latch. If that doesn't work see a lactation consultant, they are priceless. Keep faith it will get easier. Good Luck!

Answer by HannahEsmommy at 10:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• he's still learning.. it'll take a while sometimes.. just make sure he's getting a huge mouth full of nipple in his mouth for both ur sake

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Yes there is hope. I nursed all three of mine and my third was the hardest, just when I thought I had it down. OH! I cried I was getting so upset. Are you feeding the baby when they are sleepy. Try rubbing thier chin so they open their mouth up wide and then hold your boob up w one hand and try to hurry and put them on. Make sure their tongue is down...keep trying. In a few weeks you will be a pro. Congrats on the little one!

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Practice makes perfect! Just be patient cause babies can sense when you are uncomfortable. He will eventually get the hang of it. Just help open up his mouth wide by pulling at his chin. Also try different positions to hold him and see if that helps. Do you have a Boppy pillow? That works wonders for me.

Answer by WisconsinDiva10 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I was told so many different things like get her naked, tickle her feet, and just plain bug her. None of this worked for me, and they would tell me she had to eat every 2 hours and she wouldn't EVER! The first week was the hardest. She caught on and so did I. The only thing that worked for me was rubbing her check or pinching both lightly to open the mouth until she opens up then just make the quick move. Try to hold the nipple between your pointer and middle finger so it's smaller to fit in the mouth and as soon as they open up try to get it in there, and when they do you know. OUCH! The other thing I was told is try to keep your nipple hard while doing this so they can find it easier. It is really a skill, but I remember thinking I would never get and she wasn't getting enough and all the nervous new mother things you can think of, but it just takes some getting used to. Good luck!

Answer by Febs2168 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• dont give up!keep trying and contact your local le leche league or a lactation consultant!

Answer by shetibo at 3:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I feel for you. When my boy was born 3 weeks early, he was only 5lbs 6oz. I was having to subliment feed him with a syrnge and feeding tube to get more food into him because I was hardly producing anything, less than 1oz. He was 6 weeks old before he really got the hang of breast feeding, and we both had thrush which made it very painful. I cried because it was soo hard and i kept thinking there was something wrong with me and went thru all the emotional trama of feeling that I couldnt take good care of my baby. But eventually we worked it out. I understand why so many women give up when it is that hard, beacause it is soo emotionally painful, but My little man and me are now clicking along just fine. I am still not making enough milk to satisfy him fully, suplimenting with formula in bottle, but I know that whatever breastfeeding or pumped milk I can give him will be better for him nutritionally, and better for my pocketbook.

Answer by TanyaLorraine at 3:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2008