If You are over weight can u still deliver Vaginally?

The Nurse P. at my Dr. Office told me I may weight too much to have a vaginal birth, that I may have to opt. for a C-section because the baby may be big too. I am 292lbs but you would never guess that much. I am 38 weeks and 3days. She says c-c-section has many risk when you are over weight also. I feel bad. Im not sure what choice to make.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if the baby is a healthy weight, I don't know why you shouldn't be able to give birth vaginally. when I was 9 months pregnant, I weighed 225 lbs and my son was born nine days late, vaginally, and weighed 9 lbs 8 ounces and was 22 inches long. If he was much bigger, my doctor probably would have opted for a C section. But a guess of weight for a full-term fetus, even a highly educated guess from your medical provider-is a guess. Your baby might weigh 6 lbs 4 ounces or 10 lbs 3 oz....when you are in labor you will know more.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 4:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yes, it's possible for overweight woman to deliver vaginally. The only reason for a C-section to be mentioned in that case is the risk of having a big baby, which isn't a good reason for many many women who still manage to have successful vaginal births. Being overweight puts you at a higher risk for many health problems, including any surgery, not just a C-section. Unless your doctor has a medical reason for thinking you may be unable to deliver vaginally, I would suggest that you try a vaginal birth and see how it goes; that carries the least risk to yourself and the baby (again, assuming you're healthy other than the weight issue and a normal pregnany). If you end up needing a C-section, that can be arranged at the time, it happens every day. But give yourself a shot first. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• skinny women have c-sections for large babies, depends on your bone structure. good luck getting your baby out safely!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Ha! I think I would call your Dr. asap & discuss this!!! And if he agrees RUN! Run really fast to another dr!
    I weighed 236 when i gave birth vaginally..
    My sister is over weight as well (maybe 280)-- she is bigger than me but unsure of her actual weight..Shes had a total of 4 kids. Each child she gained alot of weight. She was 38 & overweight with her last child. She has also always had problems with pre-eclampsia with all of them as well but it has had no negative effect on her health or her childrens health..My sis always had her children naturally! So THIS will be something you may want to think about...
    If you are wanting an epidoral it is harder on + size people... the fat layer on our back makes it VERY difficult to find the right spot for the epi...so educate yourself a bit about the diffrent drugs & natural child birth! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• This is wrong. I gave birth when I weighed over 200. Fat women, skinny women, just depends on the baby.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Larger women are more prone to gestational diabetes, complications during birth and larger babies. A lot of doctors will mention C-sections as a back up in case of these problems, just to prepare you. It is possible to have a perfectly normal vaginal birth if you are overweight, but the doctors like to prepare you in case of an emergency then you already know what to expect. I would discuss all of my options with my doctor thoroughly before committing to a c-section, but know that if you have to have one it doesn't make you a "bad" person at all! My best friend had to have one with each of her kids, and she is 5'2 and 100 pds! Sometimes it is necessary for the health of the baby, and its ok!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Being overweight increases the chances for a c-section to happen but does not mean you have to have one. If your doc does not allow you even try a natural labor your doctor has his bank account in his best interest and not your health and your child's. If your desire is a natural birth then ignore anyone who tells you that you must be induced, that GREATLY increases your chance of a c-section.

I wish I knew all this when I was pregnant with my son. I am hoping to vbac in December... Good luck...

Anonymous

• I am currently sitting at 283 and am almost 30 weeks. My doctor did tell me that if I went over 300 that I would considered high risk and they would not be able to deliver me at her hospital (Because they won't do an epidural past that weight range, silly, I know, but that's policy there). My doctor has never said anything to me about he possibility of a c section though, and I do not plan on having one. As another poster said, I would look into other forms of pain management or medications, because an epidural is harder on a plus size woman, but I do not see a reason why you couldn't try for a vaginal birth. Good luck!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Well if thats the case (going off of what your nurse said) they should've made my cousin have a c-section with all 4 of her's; she's overweight (by dr's standards) and the smallest kid she gave birth to vaginally was 10lbs 4oz and the heaviest was 11lbs 12oz all through her cooter ! so i wouldnt worry about it too much unless yours is def a major health risk !
    dorkish_face

Answer by dorkish_face at 5:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When I was preggo w/dd I was overweight & I delivered vaginal no problem. I lost all that weight then got preggo w/ds & had him vaginally also,wasn't much difference between the two. Unless there are other factors involved I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009