how can i get my 3 month old go 2 bed early n stay asleep thruogh the night

he gose 2 bed at 2 a.m. after his feeding. and he still gets up again at 4 or 5 a.m. im so tired, wat should i do

kellnmack05

Asked by kellnmack05 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I take it you've put him down before 2AM also? If not, START. 8PM.

Sleeping through the night is a mere five hours. But don't *expect* it. This will happen WHEN IT HAPPENS.

Some will tell you cereal in the bottle. NO. Cereal doesn't make them sleep. In fact, it often makes them wake more.

Some will tell you CIO. But even the advocates of the practice say not to do it before six months.

This WILL pass. Sleep when baby DOES sleep and dump anything not strictly needed for survival so you can get some rest.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• 3 month old will not sleep throught the night, a few have but most dont. You can cut out naps after say 5ish feed him, play with him and feed him again around 8 and then lay him down. He will still wake for feeding but at least he is goin to bed at a "regular" time. This might take a week to get him use to it. If 8 is too early lay him down for the night at 9.

How much does he sleep during the day, if he gets overtired he will most likely not sleep good. A warm bath also might help relax him.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It is rare to have a baby sleep through the night at that age. I am blessed in that my third child has been one of those rare ones! Lol! But, put the baby in his bed at 7 p.m. (that is our kids bedtime). When he cries a few hurs later, nurse him and put him back to bed. He will probably get up a few hours later so nurse again and put him to bed. Once he adjusts to sleeping for an extended period (rather then being in bed from 2 to 5 am) he will start sleeping longer in between feedings!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My baby didn't start sleeping through the night until 10 or 11 months old. Start taking naps mamma!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 5:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante--she's a lady who knows her stuff :~)

Some point soon, you will get used to running on so little sleep. And then your LOs sleep patterns will change. And so goes mommyhood lol My LO started sleeping through the night at 19 mos. I've rarely heard of a 3 mo sleeping through the night. Good luck!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My son started at 2 Months sleeping 6 hours, now at 4 months he sleeps 8-11 hours depending. I read alot of different ways and techniques and I took some advice here and there to come up with what works for me. Definately put baby down at latest 9 pm. If baby is not sleeping she can still lay there and it will be dark. Just check on her and do this at the same time every night and keep it up, not just a couple days but keep doing it. Another good thing to try is a set night ritual, like a bath, cuddle, bottle bed, and do this every night. For naps, have a different ritual like a story, and let baby take naps. I kept getting advice when my son was a newborn that I need to keep waking him up and I got this from a pediatrician, but when I stopped doing that and let him have his own sleep shedule, he started sleeping better. My son takes about 4 short naps throughout the day so the next thing is to make sure not
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• (cont.) to mess with a babies regular sleep pattern. Sometimes my son takes a nap at 7 pm. but I let him. he wakes within an hour and still goes down an hour later for the night....I also increased his ounces around the same time he started sleeping through the night, not sure if that helped but it seemed to. The cereal thing is something EVERYONE tells you,but its up to you to talk to your doctor and make sure your baby is ready....they recommend 6 months now but at least baby needs to have good head control and not be pushing things out of the mouth which is a natural reflex.....I am waiting till 6 months, but that is just me. If baby wakes during the night, you should try to not give food at this time. You can try to rock baby to sleep without eating so eventually she will know feeding is not at night..try keeping her in the crib and just soothing her by patting her butt or putting your hands on her so she knows your there.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Hope you can get some rest but I do know a few people whos babies are 8-9 months and still wake up and need something at night. Most babies will wake up during the night, its part of their sleep pattern , but the key is to teach them how to self soothe so they can go right back to sleep. I have noticed my son in his crib at 4 a.m. wide awake but he does not cry until at least 6:30 now. He can soothe himself back. Keep trying things and know that eventually you will be able to get some rest. And while hes not sleeping, try to take naps if you can, which is hard if you work. I take a nap as soon as my son does now bc I still am not on the same schedule as him and have a hard time feeling energetic at 7 a.m. so those quick naps keep me going. Good luck!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• well im lucky my daughter is 3 months old and goes to bed religiously at 9 pm every night and doesnt wake up til anywhere from 7-8:30 am.she use to go to bed later too but i got her in a routine.bath,bottle then i lay her in her crib and puts herself to sleep.good luck
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009