How much alcohol can you drink while breastfeeding?

When I found out i was pregnant i quit drinking. and all this time i've been picturing me in the hospital getting a congratulatory basket of cigarettes and airplane bottles of vodka and redbulls, guess i didnt know about breastfeeding. i'm definitely not doing a year but i'll try it. kellymom said 1-2 beers a week, lame, if you drank while bf how much did you drink

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they have test strips now that can tell you if you breast milk has alcohol in it, so if you have a pump that works well for you, just pump before you drink, and pump a little and test it before you BF again.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if you are going to choose to breastfeed, i wouldn't recommend more than a couple of drinks a week. if you drink too much, your milk will taste different and your baby may not want to nurse. That can be a real medical problem, and "switching" to formula isn't always easy. I'd suggest anything in moderation. I only had a couple of drinks for the 3 weeks I nursed my son, and not having a beer didn't bother me because I was bonding with my baby and that made me happier than anything else. I didn't need a beer to enjoy anything.
    Anonymous

• don't smoke after you have your baby. cigarettes and babies don't mix.
    Anonymous

• I occasionally had a smirnoff, but not if I was planning to bf within the next hour.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 4:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i had a few drinks, but i always pumped and dumped the milk afterwards.. my DR said not to bf until 3 hours after your last drink.. and never to drink more than 2< hard> drinks at a time, up to 4 beers at a time though....

i wouldnt reccomend drinking and bfing.. if you want to drink that badley it would be best to switch to formula, so you dont regret your choice and end up disliking the baby cause you cant drink
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It may sound strange, but while I was breastfeeding, alcohol tasted horrible and the first couple of sips made me naseous. After my son weaned himself, I enjoyed it again.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 4:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i won't be mixing my baby with cigarettes. lol.

k so i'll plan on trying to bf for a month then.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I didn't think you were supposed to drink and breastfeed.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Just pump and dump, you should be fine, it's bad enough you can't enjoy yourself and go through a bunch of crap while pregnant, why suffer more?
    Anonymous

• A drink or two can be fine. The rule is, "safe to drive, safe to nurse." I have had a beer once in a while.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009