Are there any major risks of deliverying at 36 weeks?

Im trying to get as much information ass i can. I might be getting induced on monday.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yep. Lungs that aren't mature and that causes the child to be in NICU. If you aren't familiar with what happens there it means you can't hold your child, no breast feeding and the child is sedated with drugs till the lungs mature and they can breathe enough on their own. Then the baby has to learn to eat all over again. Being able to suck is one thing but the child has to learn to suck, swallow and breathe.

My son had this problem and he was born at 37.5 weeks. Be prepared if that happens to your baby. It is heart breaking watching you child fight to breathe.

Word to the wise...don't induce at 36 weeks.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I was induced at 36 weeks for high blood pressure. NO problem at all.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If this is at your doctors request, I would make sure you ask him/her about all of the risks to the baby. If there is no other choice, you need to be informed as to what you are in for.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They can do an amnio to see how developed your childs lungs are. If you're possibly being induced, I would imagine its for medical necessity, and lilbit is warning you of her experience, though its not in the best way.

Technically babies are considered term at 37 weeks, though some doctors say 36. Trust your dr.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 5:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if it's not a major risk to you, I would hold off, your baby may only be 34 weeks. I know this has to be hard for you, but if you can wait a little while longer.
    Anonymous

• What other way would there be to warn someone of the possibility of having a baby to young of gestation other than to describe what happened to me? I was assured my son would be fine. He wasn't. The hospital came to me and asked when to call the priest and funeral home because they were preparing to turn off the machines for my son. We were fortunate another hospital had room for him.

You're very rude Ashlie to assume you know best in a situation that you know very little about.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I wasnt trying to be rude, I was saying that that was an EXAMPLE, and very scary. I'm sorry that happened to you and your son, it sounds like it was a horrifying experience, and I would like for the OP to be able to avoid that.

All I was saying is if inducing was medically necessary, she SHOULD listen to her dr. I dont know best, I was just telling her what I know.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 5:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My friend delivered at 36 weeks. Her child spent a week on a vent and was air lifted to the childrens hospital. People say babies can be full term at 37 weeks but I have also heard other doctors say (mine included) say sometimes babies just are not ready till 39.5 weeks. Every baby is different and every pregnancy is different. Mine was born at 38 weeks and she was fine. Good Luck to you and your new arrival when he or she gets here.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i deleivered at 35 weeks and 6 days and we had no problems at all he was fully developed and went home in 48 hrs
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 5:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Listen to your Dr. I'm having a very painful high risk pregnancy, and if I can have my scheduled c section at 36 or 37 weeks like I discussed with my Dr. then you bet I'm going to.
    Candice369

Answer by Candice369 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009