When to switch to a toddler bed?

My son is 14 months old, still cruising and crawling. Should I wait until he walks to switch him to a toddler bed?

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 5:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter just went into her toddler bed last month she is 18 months. We just put her in it one night to see if she would stay in it and she did. So ever since we have been putting her in it. I think it just depends on if he is ready or not. Its up to him really.
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 5:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Does he try to climb out of the bed? My daughter did at that age so we moved her just for safety sake. She is doing fine now.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Personally, I'd wait until he climbs out or he gets to 3 or gets tall enough for the crib to be uncomfortable. No sense rushing to make the move until he's ready. My son climbed out at 22 months before he could really understand the whole concept of a bed (we skipped the toddler bed). It was a bit tough at first but he eventually got the idea.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My twins were just shy of 1, we moved them to mattresses on the floor. They were big jumpers. My youngest was also 1, he did get a toddler bed. I do not know about the walking thing. I guess it would be better, but if he can get into it, and out of it safely, then fine. It is not the nicest thing to have them in beds. My kids all walked long before we put them in beds, and they really never stayed in them. Good luck.
    momtoamo

Answer by momtoamo at 2:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009