• In the Spotlight:

my five year old son is about to start school and he has started adding numbers in his head. Is he possibly gifted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Gifted is not just math, is he already reading? How quickly does he learn new concepts? There are alot of things to be taken into consideration so just because he seems somewhat advanced in math, doesn't necessarily mean he is all around gifted. So keep up the good work, but don't pressure him too much.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It depends, is he adding 22 plus 13 or 1 plus 1 type problems... Boys ususally have a higher IQ in math, so encourage that, be careful tho, he may be lacking in reading, it may be harder for him and needs extra help. I know my son is 7 and at 5 his IQ was 125, but had a hard time reading, but could spell computer, tractor and such but couldnt read the words. Either way make learning fun...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My son did that when he was in pre school and now he is entering into the gifted program in jr high. He was always scoring high in math throughout elementary school! He might be but do not push it... let it flow on its own. WE had my son take the GATE test in 3rd grade and he missed the mark by a couple points so to me its not always accurate. He always got his work done in the classroom and rarely brought school work home. However this autumn he will have a lot which will be good for him !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• boy kissing momPossibly...Good Job Mom keep doing what you are doing :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Well I am not sure. Of course I think we all think our kiddos are smart, but mine is 5 and can tell me what simple math problems are by adding in his head and yes he is doing basic reading. So maybe we both have gifted kiddos or maybe this is beginning to be the norm. IDK
    Anonymous