I give my child mineral oil everday because she is so constipated i have been giving her this for seven days and dont think i have seen any improvments yet the other day she was in a public pool and had pooped she felt so bad need advice i what else i can do

Child has been pooping her pants for the last two months she says she cant feel it took her to the doctors and he told me she was constipated and to give her mineral oil i dont know what i am looking for .

momofone1978

Asked by momofone1978 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like she has another medical problem. I am so sorry about that! Maybe go back to doctor and say she can't feel when she needs to go? Have you tried suppositories?
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• She couldn't feel it come out? It may be too much mineral oil.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no i give her what the doctor told me two teaspoons a day

momofone1978

Answer by momofone1978 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have a child that tells me he cant feel when he needs to go either and some slips out. He can easily get constipated from holding it. I give him Miralax. It certainly tastes better than mineral oil. It doesnt take too much to work either. Use the cap and make her a half dose, mix with OJ, apple juice, koolaid, or even water. It says to do it for seven days, but my kids never needed a full 7 days. After about 2, they were good. Just watch for her to poop, look at it and see if its formed correctly. It shouldnt be dark, lumpy or balls. I know its gross but I look at my 7 yr olds poop so I can keep up with when he needs to go.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Miralax is good. It makes it easier for them to go but it also helps them feel the urge.
    Also, look up encopesis- if it's dark and there's a little coming out, she could have this condition. It's more common in boys, but if she can't feel the urge, that's a big sign.
    Anonymous

• my daughter gets constipated from time to time i figured its gotta be what she been eating, my kids like those fruit snacks alot and i've noticed not only does it make them constipated, but also turns their poop blue or green. im not ging them fruit snacks anymore for a while.
    mamamia431

Answer by mamamia431 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2009