How can I get my daughter to take a bottle?

My daughter will be 4 months old next week. She's been EBF since she was born. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks so I'm trying to get her to take a bottle so they can feed her at daycare while I'm gone during the day. But she refuses to take a bottle. She will scream and scream until I give in and feed her. We've tried feeding her when I was out of sight and at other people's houses so she didn't think we were home...but nothing's worked. Any ideas on how to get her to take a bottle?

JessMomof2boys

Asked by JessMomof2boys at 5:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What kind of bottles have you tried? Mine would only take the soft lined Platex bottles with the breastmilk. The kind for breastfeeding moms, the bag you fill fits in the bottle. But I would try different kinds of bottles-when she gets hungry enough she will eat.
    Anonymous

• I've tried soothie, medela and playtex ventair
    JessMomof2boys

Answer by JessMomof2boys at 5:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Try a DrBrown's.

My DS was EBF for 6wks while I was home, and he made the transition pretty easy. Most generally, when babies realize that the same milk comes from the bottle with less work than the breast, they take to it and tend to prefer it. My DS won't accept the breast anymore because the bottle nipple is just easier for him.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I never breast fed BUT when my daughter was born she wouldn't take anything at all. they messed with her gag reflex and so anything that went in her mouth she didn't want. Sooo the hosptal gave me sugar water. I dipped the nipple in it and she took it. We had to take breaks and it took about a week or so to be able to live with out the water but it worked.
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 5:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When I had to return to work briefly, ds would only take bottles when I was literally not in the house. It is unlikely that he will continuously refuse when you actually are not present.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Hmmm. that's a tough one. Maybe just try different nipples until you hit one she will take. I also agree that maybe you need to be out of the house completely. I have heard that a baby will not let himself starve but then again i would not want to be to far away just in case! Also talk with your ped. and see if they can recommend anything else to you. Have you tried dribbling some of the milk on her lips? what about dropper feeding? I dunno what else to offer... Good luck!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009