• In the Spotlight:

how do you know if your 3 year old is advanced for his age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The pediatrician will say something if your child is "advanced" enough to where it will make a difference in his life.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Why worry about it so much? My little boy is very smart and I'm incredibly proud of him, but I'm not going to compare him to other kids. He is a child and I'm going to let him be a child and not start pushing him.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 6:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yeah don't compare your child to others. My mom did that and pushed me so hard that I didn't want to do anything. Let him advance at his own rate and ignore what everyone else is doing.
    Anonymous

• i know some really smart kids that are idiots. teach him to share and be nice to his friends.
    Anonymous

• If he is bringing in an income and contributing to the bills!
    goincrzynonnie

Answer by goincrzynonnie at 7:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If he can do calculus equations, he is advanced.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I like the bringing in a paycheck answer...LOL.....Well, usually if a child is VERY advanced, youre going to know. He will be able to do math in his head and be generally perceptive of everything around him. My nephew is a genius. YEs, he is, truly. He was adding 3 digit numbers in his head at age 5 and now that he is 8, he can do 5th grade math and he is obsessed with geography. He can tell you where any country in the world is without looking at his globe and he knows facts and details about the solar system and certain cities that are NOT general knowledge. Most of it he has studied but he retains the information. Thats what so impressive. PROBLEM? He has no social skills. Hes been in public school and its been more to his demise rather than his benefit and he has NOT developed any social skills and they are holding him back academically. So hes homeschooling this year. My 3 yr old is behind and very immature so I dont know
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2009