what would you do or say to a MIL that just gives over stuff that isn't hers to Goodwill without asking first?

Long story short... I had three or four large trash bags of infant clothes I was storing at her house, and just found out today she took all of it and hauled it off to Goodwill without asking first, I am so ANGRY! She KNEW they were my DD's clothes. I TOLD her to not get rid of any of it. I had outfits in there I wanted to keep for grandkids and stuff, sentimental items, kwim? What would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on the relationship you have.

If you are trying to keep the peace you should have your hubby talk to her about it. If he's a momma's boy and won't talk to his beloved mommy, then you are going to have to man up to her yourself about respecting each others items.

If you don't have a very good relationship with her anyways, I would tell her that she owes you some money, or needs to replace some of the things she felt she could so carlessly get rid of.

But you do also have to keep in mind that you had them in her house, and maybe she was tired of it taking up space. Perhaps you should clean out an area of your house for things you want to save such as an attic, basement, or even make a storage closet.

usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• report it stolen and make her pay you back the value of the items
    Anonymous

• She should have either told you that she wanted them removed or asked you before she got rid of them. I mean I can understand if they were taking up space, but she should have told you that if that was the issue. Still nothing can be done about it now, I assume. Just know not to leave anything in her care anymore.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't think you could report it stolen, since the items were at her house and "possession is 9/10ths of the law".
    Anonymous

• Well, it would been nice of her to ask you first, but personally, I feel that if stuff is stored at someones house, they have the right to remove it. THE RIGHT thing to do would be to make sure you didnt want it, and I do feel she was wrong, but you have no recourse other than to be angry with her. I have a large family and we borrow stuff all the time such as furniture, clothes, electronics...The rule is...when I am done with it, I will ask you if you want it back. If you do, then I will politely bring it to you. If I dont, then you are free to do what you want with it. If I am keeping it for you, when I decide I dont want to store it anymore, I ask you to come get it. If you dont, then dont get mad when I get rid of it. I do give adequate time for the person to pick up their items. Someone who is storing something for me is doing me a favor so I can be angry, but theres nothing I can do.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would be PISSED!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would be pissed and tell her that you will pay me back for everything that you gave away and then i wouldnt store anything else over thereangry

lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 8:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009