MY SON IS 7.5 MONTHS OLD AND DOES NOT WANT TO EAT BABY FOOD WHAT DO I DO????????????

he is 7.5 months old and at first he would eat it fine but now he doesnt want to eat it what do i do.... i have to bottle feed because i dried up and formula is so expensive i want to try to fill him up even just a little bit so that he doesnt just have formula...

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 6:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First I would play with textures... my son never liked his foods thin, some don't like it thick or chunky.
    And have you tried making your own foods? The jarred foods are pretty nasty... especially the veges BLECK! He might be more open to better flavors. Or make new combos of the foods he likes... wholesomebabyfood.com (I think is the site) has some interesting food combo's to try.
    And at that age is about when we started giving more finger foods like puffs to start with because he liked to feed himself. So maybe he is ready for that.
    He still needs just as much formula though, so cut back on that.... and always offer formula before foods at this age.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I made my daughters baby food and I plan on making my new babys food. I never once tried feeding her food from a jar. I would buy strawberries, fresh broccoli etc and put it in a food processer and she loved it and is still a great healthy eater.
    Anonymous

• By that age, my son was getting tired of baby food and wanting realy adult food.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 6:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My 2nd was the same way. I would just cut the milk and put the food on the high chaair tray and let him have at it. Or I would put ceral on the high chair and let him feed it to himself. He would eventually eat it because I wouldn't take him out of the chair until he had eaten it.
    madelyn5

Answer by madelyn5 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I did not use babyfood with my second; I started with soft fruits and veggies and later pasta.

You cannot get around using formula though; before one year, solids are just for experimenting--he should be getting his nutrition from formula.

Do you meet the gross income guidelines for WIC?
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you don't meet the requirements for WIC then you can talk to your Ped. about helping you out with samples. A lot of them are stock up with samples and can give them out pretty regularly. The next thing would be to write to the brand that you use and tell them how much you like there product but it's becoming hard for you to purchase. Also, it's sketchy but you can look formula up on Craigslist.org. People on WIC stock up on formula and then sell it at lower cost, not technically legal at all for them to be selling but I guess it would be okay to buy... I dunno though I would only do that as a last resort. As far as the foods go I would just keep trying different things. They say you may have to offer a food up to 10 times before a baby will eat it. I don't know who they is but I have heard this over and over so I guess it must have some truth in it. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• He HAS to have formula or breastmilk. He is not going to get the nutrition he needs from baby food!! Check into WIC, ask the pediatrician for samples, etc. Go to a generic brand.

Baby food is only for practice anyway, not nutrition.

Start offering table foods if you want him to get nutrition from food.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you should just keep trying with the food. Start simple. Use only 1 ingredient food. One - he'll get used to one flavor at a time. Two - if he developes an allergy you'll be able to tell what food it is. As for the formula issue I think looking into WIC is a great idea. And don't stress out about baby getting enough to eat. Trust me he'll let you know and you can tell by how many diapers he's going through. Also talk to your pediatrician. Maybe they can suggest something none of us has.
    Good Luck!
    caramelcafe

Answer by caramelcafe at 8:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009