What are some creative punishments for Children?

I read about the child, 7 year old that borrowed his parents car to get home because he didn't want to go to church. What are some of your creative punshiments? Spanking, I know is used. But, I am looking for ideas to teach the child what is right without touching them.

drherrmann

Asked by drherrmann at 6:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Having them write a letter of apology (I do this with my 7 year old when he misbehaves at school, sports, etc.--especially if he will be going back to teh same program).

Losing their favorite toys/games, TV show--depending on the severity of the incident and their stubbornness, it could be a couple of weeks before they EARN back the privilege they lost.

Time outs in their bedrooms (there are no toys or TV's or computers in their rooms--just books). Their bedrooms are for sleeping, homework, and quiet time!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if my SD is disrescpetful to her personal belongs, she must give them to chairty, clothes toys her tv ect.. and does not get new ones for 1 year, if she is disresptful to adults, back talking inturpting what not, she is sent to the other room, and not allowed to be with the group that she was disrecptful to, for the rest of the day.time we are there

she is 10
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My mom is the mistress of creative punishments:

You wiped food-greasy hands on clothes? Guess who is doing laundry this week?

Cursed in front of her? She calls the whole family (including the ones back East you've never met) and gushes how "her baby" is all grown up cause she swears now.

Get busted punching your little brother for annoying you? Time out with Gramma - 30 minutes in the car while she has a "talk" with you.

Not listening? Tv is gone till you do.

No one (and I mean NO ONE) messes with G-Ma in our family. She's too smart for us. LOL
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• How about cleaning the bathroom? I never did that to my son but I hate so maybe it is a good punishment.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• For us, the punishments fit the crimes, so to speak. So, write on the walls, you wash the walls. If for instance, you forget to flush the toilet, you have to go into the bathroom after every person and make sure they flushed, for one day. DD had a habit of opening the door when others were in the bathroom, she became bathroom guard for a day, she had to stand outside the bathroom, at attention, to make sure noone opened the bathroom door. So, we just create punishments based on what he child does wrong.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• One of my dad's favorite for my brothers was if they forgot to take out the trash they had to scrub out the trash cans.
    Anonymous

• I love petie's! I'm gonna guess thats a military family..lmao!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The one thing my mom did that made me learn (and it's worked on my younger siblings) is taking our TVs!!!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 1:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2009