when can a breastfed baby start eating cereal?

My baby is 2 months old and I was just wondering when to start introducing cereal into his breastmilk only diet?

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 2:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it doesn't matter whether the baby is breastfed or bottel fed, but i think it is recommended at 3 or 4 months, whenever the milk doesn't seem to be enough. just mix the cereal with breastmilk until it is super thin and the slowly make it thicker. if your baby doesn't seem to like the cereal or doesn't want to eat it all (turns it head away, screams) then wait a week or 2 and try it again.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• Personally I wait until closer to 6 months of age, my pediatrician also recommends 6 months of age. Before then they don't need anything but formula or breastmilk and some babies are not ready for it. Babies digestive systems need to be ready for solids, they need to lose the toungue thrust reflex, they should also have good head and neck control and be able to sit supported.
    momyoftwo

Answer by momyoftwo at 3:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• I was told my by doctor not until 4 months at least, but there are also some milestones that your baby has had to accomplish before he should start eating anything other than formula or breast milk. Look at parents.com, they have a lot of info on there about when to start feeding your baby other foods
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 3:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• The American Acadamy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization recommend NO other food or liquids until 6 months of age AND showing signs of readyness (loosing the tounge thrust is a big one). Please take a look at this link ~ http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    renogawj

Answer by renogawj at 4:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• The absolute earliest is 4 months, BUT the American academy of pediatrics and world health organization say that it is best for BF babies to be EBF until 6 months. Formula already has changed the tummy enough that earlier doesn't really make a huge difference but BM is different. Read up on it here http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    Remember that BF babies don't really NEED solids in their diet until 12 months, until then its just learning textures and stuff.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• I've always heard 4-6 months is an okay age to start (from professionals; I have family who did it sooner). The biggest factor in determining is if you baby seems to be ready for it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 6:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• 4 to 6 months
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• It depends on your baby because the doctors told me about four months but when I had my daughter she was half grown (9 lbs 14 oz) she could already lift her head up so by the time she was two months old she needed to eat the cereal. If it seems like she just wants to nurse non stop then it is probably time for cereal
    rarestsweets

Answer by rarestsweets at 4:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2008