Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can grandparents intervene from another state on a custody case

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (3)
  • You're gonna need to be more specific.

    Answer by allans_girl at 7:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • Grandparents rights vary from state to state. In WA, where I live, Grandparents have no rights, per se. If the parents are in the picture, the grandparents have no rights to sue for visitation. So, my ex DH's parents can't sue him or me b/c they don't see the grandkids as often as they used to when we were married. Some states do allow grandparents to sue for visitation. Check your state laws for each state.

    If the parents are not acting in the best interest of the child & the child is removed from the home or the parents lose their rights, the grandparents are usually a logical choice for custodians. Not always, but many times if a child cannot live with their parents, the courts will look for a relative. If the grandparents are given temporary custody, they have more of a legal leg to stand on to obtain permanent custody or visitation after the child returns to the parents.

    Please share more if you need more!

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • There's a lot of information missing here. What's the case regarding custody? Did the State take the children away from the parents? Is this a battle between the parents?

    If the State has removed the children then they will next look at family members. Usually they like to look locally because that means a lot less work and money for them. It also means that parent visitation is more possible to keep the children locally. If need be they will go out of state.

    If this is a battle between 2 parents then all a grandparents can do is perhaps testify as to the fitness of one parent over the other.

    Some states have grandparents rights and these vary as to the degree of involvement. If you're concerned contact an attorney asap.

    If you give more info you might get more information.

    Answer by baconbits at 9:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.