Numbness in the fingers?

Has anyone experienced any numbness in the ring and pinky fingers during pregnancy?

It's never happened before and in the last couple of weeks I have had some numbness in my left hand(I'm right handed).
I'm 39 weeks pregnant btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't lean on the elbow... it pinches a nerve that causes the numbness in the ring and pinkie fingers. it's probably being exacerbated by pregnancy hormones or swelling or something. Good luck!
    BirdMommyC

Answer by BirdMommyC at 8:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My friend did, she just had her baby a couple of weeks ago. She developed a form of carpel tunnel from the pregnancy and was wearing a brace to try to help it. Ask your Doc
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 7:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Numbness is pretty common. Sometimes you can be doing nothing at all and your fingers or hand goes numb. Swelling has a lot to do with it...although you have increased blood flow, the swelling doesn't allow blood to flow as freely, so things go numb easier, and sometimes, without warning.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can develop as a result of pregnancy, but isn't as common. CTS also has wrist pain associated with it, so if you're feeling pain, you might want to mention it to your doctor.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yes but it was generally only at night, especially towards the end. It's because you get so swollen and it pinches the nerves. It was extremely uncomfortable trying to sleep with a arm and hand that were tingly and falling asleep. A brace helped though. And it did go away after my DD was born.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I never got numb in the fingers but to this day my son is 2 years old my left leg right above my knee is still numb, i have no idea what causes it, i even went to a specialist it was so annoying!!! hang in there yours will probably go away when the baby is born
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009