If you knew you babysitter had family members that had molested (ones not living with her) would you still want her to watch your kids?

I watch my friends kids and I told her that I had been sexually abused as a child by my parents. I do not communicate with them, not am I at all the type to condone that. She told me she feels uncomfortable having her children at my house now. I feel so embarased and hurt. Just cause I was molested doesn't mean Im going to do it. I've thought about opening up my own daycare just cause I want to feel proud that i am helping other children, knowing there safe, so she knows my reasons for watching children are good. Just wondering if it would bother anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• My sitter was abused too but she has strong views about making sure nobody but her changes my DD and is very protective of her. I almost feel like she is a better sitter because she is so protective and aware of what evil is out there.
    Anonymous

• There's a difference between having family members who molested...and being one who was molested by family members.

I'm not saying this is YOU, but there is a stigma (unfortunately) that those who have been molested tend to then molest. It's not fair. It's not always right! But that's the way it is.

Another family member who molested someone else...no I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as there was no longer any contact.

I hate to say it though, a sitter having been molested...I'd have to think about. My ex-SIL was molested as a kid...while she has 7 of her own kids, has never molested...she has major mental problems and is in danger of losing her own kids. She has not, nor would she have ever watched my kids (if she was still a family member) Again...not that it is YOUR case...
    Anonymous

• I wanted feel wrong living my kids you just cause you were molested doest mean you will do the thing so you open a daycare if you want to no matter what anybody says  you do what you want do 

lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 8:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009