Umbilical stump

So yesterday at my son's 2 week appt the DR went ahead and took his umbilical stump off since it hadn't fallen off yet by itself. Has anyone else have this done on their LO's??? I heard 2 weeks is actually early by one of the nurses. So now I am wondering why he did it....I was fine waiting on it. My DD's took exactly 2 weeks.

Anyways, It is really gross looking. Almost gooey/moist. It sticks to his onsie even. I'm sure its not infected, its not red or hot to touch, and it dosen't have an oder. Its just really icky and is bothering me! Any ideas on how to let it heal faster????

mommy_bink

Asked by mommy_bink at 7:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes its ready to fall off and doesnt because of the gooey stuff on it, it sticks to the skin and you may not even notice that it is ready to come but it is.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My daughter was 4 weeks when it fell off and that was a week after silver nitrate was applied because of lots of bleeding. We didnt have gooey stuff after it fell off. My friends daughter did. It was 4 weeks when hers daughters fell off and had all kinds of gooey stuff. She just kept applying rubbing alcohol to it and in a couple of days it was fine.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009