Need help to stop teasing my daughter.

Well she's 7 and thinks she knows it all and at times when we agrue, I'll turn the conversation around by making a stupid face.This causes us both to laugh but at times it makes her mad.It's become a real habit for me to make stupid faces, when she gets mad at me,because it feels so good to laugh but I'm worried that I'm giving her the wrong impression that I'm not angry at her.Actually I have my fair share of getting angry,do you think it's o.k. to be doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think its a great idea. It breaks the hostile environment that could potentially ensue. But if you still are angry with her for her behavior, you need to make sure that after youre both laughing, you get serious and explain how you feel and give her a chance to say how she feels...RESPECTFULLY. No disrespect allowed. But all in all, I think its a good thing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I guess what started the funny face thing in a argument was a man told me he did the same thing and that it was the best thing he ever did.He realized that he didn't have to be so serious all the time and to make him and his son laugh was a good thing and that his son actually stopped his bad behavior and now they have a better relationship because of it.Since writing this question I have stopped making faces a little because my daughter pushes my buttons so much,I'm so frustrated, I don't know what else to do.So now I think,is this the right time to be laughing or and do I want my daughter madder at me or do I want her to respect me.So far I have been serious,but it is so much fun to make us laugh and forget about the argument.I do other things instead of screaming mad words at her.She locked herself in the bathroom and I decided I was going to bend down and get on her eye level, so when she opens the door she see's my face
    Anonymous

• staring at her. This makes her laugh too and I love doing this because it's fun and I'm pretty bored right now and it always amuses me.It changes the mood between us,we start off screaming and fighting,then she runs away from me and locks herself in the bathroom.After the laugh and sometimes I keep bending down and changing different locations ,like hide and seek and then we forget about the argument and I start telling her what I want her to do and she does it.
    Anonymous

• that is parenting strategy to keep siblings from bickering - for the parent to make fun and be silly with it to get them on a different level and distracted. it's almost like you are yelling and fighting with her like a sibling and then breaking it up like the parent..
    Anonymous

• I think it is a good idea. It will put some humor in an otherwise tense situation and maybe make her laugh and you laugh instead of saying something you really don't mean that will make her feel worse and you feel bad later. This will probably help her use humor to feel better sometimes.
    AmandaB9466

Answer by AmandaB9466 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009