Breastfeeding Help Needed!

I have a breastfeeding issue, when I got pregnant with my second son my milk supply dropped, my first who was about 5 months old at the time started losing weight, and I had to start supplementing. At first I mixed cereal with formula a couple of times a day, but eventually had to stop all together and switch to formula, which I HATED doing! I tried everything anyone would suggest to help my supply but to no avail. Now my second son is just short of 6 months old and I just learned that I am pregnant again! I think my second son may be losing weight now, he's also starting to act as if he's not getting satisfied with feedings.... I desperately want to be able to continue to breastfeed through this pregnancy, but fear I will reach the ultimate end I did last time. (cont. below)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• (cont.) Any advice on what I can do to help my supply? If I do need to start supplementing in some way to make sure he's not losing weight, what would you suggest I do? And will supplementing only further ruin my supply? I'm concerned about pumping as I had both my boys prematurely, would pumping cause pre-term labor? Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!
    Anonymous

• Habe you tried Mother's Milk tea? It tastes like crap but really helps.
    And try pumping after each feeding. Also, pump at least once between feedings. It helps increase your milk supply.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• And you should ask your doctor if pumping will cause preterm labor.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Like you, I was nursing when I got pregnant each time (now pregnant with number 4). My milk supply REALLY seemed to take a nosedive while nursing Elizabeth this time. I have had to increase the amount of water I drink (and I always drank a LOT). I also started nursing her more often even though I didn't have much milk. It took a couple of weeks, but my supply has increased. It doesn't take much at all to decrease it though. I only nursed her three times yesterday and already I am low. I am going to have to let her nurse probably 5 or 6 times tomorrow in order to bring it back up. It is kind of a pain, but I know it is best for her and I am not ready to quit yet. Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• BTW, Congrats on your new baby!!! I thought my kids were close. The first two are 15 months apart. The 2nd and 3rd are 18 months apart. And Elizabeth and the new baby will be 14 months apart. It can sure get crazy, but it is so wonderful!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Please do not drink mothers milk tea it has fenugreek in it, that is very dangerous while pregnant. You can get a suppliment for you called more milk too by www.motherlove.com and its safe to make more milk while pregnant. You can also take reglan while pregnant a presciprtion med. Get a supplimental nursing system and give all suppliments if and when you have to start them AT the breast this will maintain supply and prevent baby from weaning fromt he breast because of low supply...medela makes them!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• that's a tough one. I am currently Bfing my 12 month old and I'm 23 weeks today. While my supply has dropped the good thing is she's on solids so she's getting plenty other than my milk. She still BF's 5 or 6 times a day. The main issue with pregnancy is not much will help boost your supply because its the hormones effecting it. The hormones don't go away. When you aren't pregnant taking supplements and eating certain foods helps regulate the issue. I would just continue to nurse him as much as possible. Please be careful with pumping. its not unsafe to BF during pregnancy but I'm not a fan of pumping. I would consult a lactation consultant or visit www.llli.org to find help in your area. good luck and don't give up.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Pump after feeding and then pump for 5-10 min. after the last drop of milk comes out at each feeding and hopfully that will help it helped me
    luckyambear

Answer by luckyambear at 9:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009