How long does engorgement last?

I dont remember from when I had my son! I am in so much pain, my breasts have doubled in size and are hard as a rock. It hurts to move or even try to lift my arms. I am wearing a sports bra and using ice packs but it is still miserable. How many days does the worst of it last?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• depends really, i never EVER had engorgement and im still breastfeeding.. some last a few days my sisters lasted a week....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Are you going to breastfeed? I'm not and I'm still leaking almost three weeks later. The painful part you're talking about lasted probably a week or so and started a few days after I got out of the hospital. But yeah, I can usually tell he's hungry by the wet spot on my shirt. lol. My friend swears by putting cabbage leaves in her shirt for that. :)
    EthanBabe

Answer by EthanBabe at 8:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• With my first one it lasted about 3 days. With my second I didn't have any.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No, I am not breastfeeding. I had her Monday, and it felt a little sensitive yesterday and today is when it got horrible. I have some breast pads I stuck down in my sports bra so I dont leak through. The nurses told me about cabbage leaves. Are they supposed to help with the pain, or just stop leaking?
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2009