Do you think kids have to play computer games and own fancy computer gizmo's to be intellectually stimulated?

I didn't have computer games growing up,we had board games and played hide and seek outside.We turned out o.k..Do you feel the 'computer' generation is trying to rub off on you.I mean,we can't afford those computer gizmo's and feel guilty for not providing that--mainstream activity,it's everywhere and everyone's got it.For moms on a budget who don't agree with buying computer related gizmo's.Now I know there are free games on the internet,I'm talking about those hand held internet games and such.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We chose not to buy our children that crap. They are happy, healthy, well adjusted, and have terrific imaginations. Those toys are not a requirement of childhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No. I was a straight A student; in the top 5 of my class, and scored a 30 on my ACT. I never played a lot of computer/video games and didn't have many electronics.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My gs has his own computer (laptop) he has 2 ps2 game consoles, he plays outside all day long in all seasons,he owns all of the board games his age and older and has a list a few more that he would like to get... has a lot of friends and also has had a crush on the principle's dd...lol...since kindergarten and he is going into the 3rd grade this fall... and he has a 3.9 GPA...
    No I did not grow up with all of this and did well myself, but the acedemic programs are more computer oriented...
    And since I am a retired teacher, we are making sure that he (our gs) has what is needed to stay ahead of the game when it comes to the high - techno things....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My son is addicted to electronics and has a 30 min limit per day on them. Even if it is a 'learning system' I don't want him wasting away in front of it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with you gmasboy,that's the pressure I feel, since everyone it seems is doing the computer/gizmo thing,you wonder if your kid will turn out right without it,like the first post said,it's possible to live without it but she's not a kid in this electronic age.Mine plays free games on the internet,that's really it for now,I know when she's older she'll have to have a cell phone/internet or anything else out there,and she and I will feel more pressure to have these things.
    Anonymous

• Although most young ones are addicted to computer gizmo's, Computers are extinct to me. I have more fun with hands on with my children and grandchildren. Nieces, Nephews, great nieces and great nephews. To enjoy their smiles and expresions is priceless. Only one thing . . . . .don't take away my telephone!
    BlackPearl1955

Answer by BlackPearl1955 at 6:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Times change so all I can say is don't try to act like humans don't. Honestly they change faster than times so time needs to keep up w/ some of us if u ask me.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 6:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• There are a lot of benefits to those games. (just don't tell my 14yo I said that) However, like everything else, you need to have moderation. I also feel that you can't just depend on computers and video games for learning. Find a happy medium that works for your family. There are some excellent games out there that I have no problem with. In fact, my 11yo has ADHD tendencies, and some games actually help him to focus. He loves the ones on the computer that he has to plan out and think through before he can move on to the next level.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 7:12 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Well, theres moderation in everything. Theres nothing wrong with having those fun games and technology, but it doesnt make a smart kid. Kids have what they have genetically and there are ways to stimulate them intellectually and games are only ONE way. My son has a Wii and a DS. We dont have all the game consoles because we dont want them. We only wanted a Wii because its much more family oriented. He plays Mario Kart and we have family challenges and it brings us together. We also play other family members via the internet. My nephews live down the street and we love challenging them. Its good for hand eye coordination but thats basically all my kids play. He does love to play on the computer as does my three yr old. My 3 yr old is more computer savvy than most adults. Its more of a learning factor for him though. Even if we didnt have our toys, we could still be the same intelligence and have the same amt of family time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We don't have any video games, and have no intention of getting them. Not only can we not afford them, but we feel they're a huge waste of time. My kids do play an occasional game on the desktop ( educational games) and are learning how to do internet research but that's as far as it goes right now.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2009