• In the Spotlight:

keep it or set it free?

Keep it or set it free?

We found a box turtle the other day. In a residentual neighborhood where he could easily have been mowed over or ran over by a car. He's got chew marks like a dog or something got him a long time ago. I let my son take him home to play with for a couple days then we were going to set him free in the park (woods)

But my son loves him and has soo much fun with him. (My son is 6)

Anybody had a box turtle? How did it work out?

Is it better to set him free?

tristansmom74

Asked by tristansmom74 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Set it free- it's a wild animal and while it may adjust to being "tamed", its really not fair to the animal. Also, make sure to wash your hands immediately after handling and do not touch your face before you wash your hands! Turtles are the biggest carrier of salmonella of all the reptiles that are kept as pets.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It depends on how well he's adjusting to captivity. Many wild animals will die if they are taken as pets. Talk to a vet.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• As a kid we did have a turtle, we painted a letter S for Sidney on it and let it go in our back yard, we would not find it for months, but then every so often he would just show up in back yard again... the marking him made us feel better knowing he was ours... have fun with it ...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 8:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• make sure your son washes his hands good after handling him as they can carry salmenella
    mustanggrl74

Answer by mustanggrl74 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• We had one for 3 years. It was a nice pet for my son who was 5 at the time. Get a shallow dish for water and turtle pellets at the grocery store, combined with fresh fruits and veggies. Ours loved tomatoes. We have a "Science Center" in our town, my inlaws are on the board there, so they got me in contact with some guy. He told me to go to the pet store and get the tree bark type stuff to put in the bottom of the aquarium, and one of those hollowed out half logs for the turtle to go under. Also, for it to be in a sunny place for warmth unless you want to get a heating rock to put in the cage. All in all, we spent about $50 in the beginning. Also remember that turtles can carry salmonella, so make sure your son washes his hands well after handling it. My son really enjoyed the turtle when we had her.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Oops, I didnt mean to say grocery store...i meant pet store. Sorry.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my ex has 3 wild turtles and they are great, he got the 1st one 3 yrs ago and the others about 6 months ago
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• yes, set it free. in some places it is illegal to take turtles from the wild too, but more importantly he will be happier free.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yep, we just set it free. In the woods at the park next to the lake.
    tristansmom74

Answer by tristansmom74 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The letter on the back is a cute idea. He gets to be free and you get to check every turtle to see if it's your buddy.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009