how do you feel about vaccinations? Pro's and Con's

I am expecting our first child and our niece almost died after being vaccinated as a baby along with our friend's niece who stopped breathing only 40 minutes after her shots. My family says vaccinate the normal way my friends say NO WAY. We are so confused!!!

I am nervous about it because my husband and I hear so much conflicting advice and we don't have any peace. We have considered waiting to vaccinate until after he is 1 year old and finding a doctor that will give shots one or two at a time.

We have a very strong Christian faith and haven't yet found anything biblical that advices on this subject...unless we are looking in the wrong place! I would appreciate advice form other bible believing moms....where did you stand? Any good websites? What's the best way to go about this....vaccinate, don't vaccinate, vaccinate slowly?

Ps- we are homeschooling so vaccinating is not an issue there.

EricaPotter

Asked by EricaPotter at 8:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would be happy to share my personal feelings regarding vaccination through private messages. I prefer not to involve myself in the nasty debates that generally begin around here. I am also a Christian, and have strong religious objections to at least a few vaccines in particular. If you are interested in discussing this topic privately feel free to send me a message.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• well I don't think the Bible is going to have your answers on this one... I don't think that made vaccines back when it was written.
    I think you just need to do your research on both ends of the topic for yourself and choose. We vaccinate our son... I feel it is important for him and important for the community to have people vaccinated. I think there are probably risks and benifits either way you go
    With getting them done... you risk allergic reaction or other complications, some people worry about the toxin's
    With not getting them- you risk getting diseases that can also have long term complications

I think if in the end you still aren't sure I would look more at delayed and selective vaccinating... I think it's more of a middle ground
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have given my son all the vaccines and nothing ever happened to him. He never got a reaction or anything. He got a slight fever with one but it wasn't anything severe or scary. It all has to do with how you feel. Would you like your child to get the infection cause you didn't get the vaccine or have the vaccine and maybe get a reaction from it. That's how I thought about it and I rather him get a reaction then get the infection wondering could I have saved this from happening. There are many reasons for why to get it and why not. Its just like circumcision or taking a bottle after a year. Everyone thinks differently so there's no one right answer.
    Anonymous

• personally, i am pro-vax'ing, but that is because i have a nphew who CANT be vax'd(he is on chemo) and because of that he is at a hgiher risk to get any of those things that are usually vax'd for because his immune system is comprimised, yeah it sucks that we have to keep our kids sparated for a few days after the vaccine, but it is worth it. I DO HOWEVER, strobngly believe in being informed about what vaccines are being given when. I am doing delayed vaccines and there are a handful that she will NOT get(chicken pox, and the HPV~we both have a bit of a moral issue with this one + the company behind the vax has even said that they dont know the long term consequences!)) just look into what is in the vaccines, look into what they get! and at what age!!! check the CDC website and get info about the diseases and at what age they are typically given. i reccomend dr. sears book on delayed vax'ing
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 9:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It is not black or white – vax or don’t vax.

I can't urge you strongly enough to do your own research!! Do not base your decision on opinions. Many people read the same information and have differing conclusions. Our conclusions were that the preservatives are toxic and the interaction between the vaccines can be dangerous; we also feel that teeny bodies can handle only so much intrusion at a time.

We choose to selectively vaccinate on a delayed schedule. The first vax was after our daughter turned one. We never did more than one vax per office visist. We had the office order single dose, preservative free vaccines; we concluded that the additives to the vaccines and the interactions between the vaccines posed the greatest danger. We skipped flu, chicken pox, and a couple of others.

Good luck.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I do belive that vaccinating is a personal choice, and for my kids I chose to do it. I did see a post in one of my groups on delayed vaccines and if I remember correctly Dr. Sears did make a modified vaccine list (you may want to google him). I do think that if you are going to delay vaccines that you talk to your pediatrician and see what he/she suggests for vaccines, and let him/her know that you want them done one at a time, not lumped together.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I alway vaccined according to state law. However, after recently talking to a strong Christian mother, I can't say I was completely right. I do believe 100% in vaccinating. She is doing a delayed schedule, one at a time, like mentioned before because it is stressful for a baby. My oldest, Joshua, always ran fevers and was miserable for a day or two. I am one of 5 kids, I have 3 of my own, and that is the worst reaction I have ever seen. Joshua still has a low pain tolerance and I think giving him 4 shots at once (in TN) was over doing it and unnecessary. I was younger and didn't realize I had any say in vaccinations. I had a case of chicken pox that put me in the hospital with blood poisoning, and I am glad that my kids were vaccinated and never had to go through that.
    lizlaughlove

Answer by lizlaughlove at 12:38 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thank you so much!!! This is so much information, so I have heard before and some I am really looking forward to digging into. Thanks!!!
    EricaPotter

Answer by EricaPotter at 12:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Hep B contains 250mcg of aluminum per shot.
    DTaP contains 650mcg of aluminum per shot.
    HiB contains 225mcg of aluminum per shot.
    PCV contains 125mcg of aluminum per shot.
    Hep A contains 250mcg of aluminum per shot.

Babies who follow the CDC recommended schedule receive 5000mcg of aluminum by 18 months of age. 1,475 mcg alone can come from the 12 and 15 months shots ALONE. Aluminum is a neurotoxin. The FDA says 20-25mcg of aluminum a day are safe for babies. Yet, we give them 1,475mcg in ONE day? Even a single does of Hep B is 20 times higher than safety levels!

Since you're a strong believer in your faith, are you aware some vaccines are cultured on aborted fetal tissue?  I STRONGLY urge you to not only research the pro's and con's itself, but the ingredients!

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You don't have to make a final decision now. We put then off until 2 years, for now. My daughter had a reaction. And I absolutely HATE reading "my kid had them all on time and he is fine." Great! There are still risks. Your child was fine, mine wasn't. Who cares? Even the vax companies admit that DEATH is a possible (thankfully rare) side effect. You have to weigh the risk of the vaccine against the risk of the disease.

The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is actually a fair and informative book. It is sort of pro vax, but presents it all pretty fairly.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009