Did you end up parenting just like your parents?

I hope to FSM I don't...oh lawd.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know how my mom parented me when I was less than 2 years old.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When I was thirteen, I made a list of things that I would NEVER do to my kids, that my mom did to me. Granted, nothing my mom did ever hurt me. She spanked me, she grounded me, all of that. Now that I have children of my own, I can understand why she did what she did...but there are still things that I will never do with mine...for instance and yes this is true. Whenever we lied, or said a curse word, she would make us swallow a squirt of liquid dawn dish soap...yes she did. I am sure there are more effective ways of getting a child to stop lying or cursing than making them eat soap...I pointed out to her it says on the label not to ingest..she said I never gave you that much, it was only a little bit. I said, mom, it doesn't say, ingest only half an ounce. It says not to ingest ANY. I still to this day do NOT understand why or how my mom could do that....
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 8:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• In many ways, yes, but my mom was the best. So I'm glad that her good parenting skills rubbed off on me!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Nooooooo!!

I am much more careful than my parents. But then again, I learned from their mistakes. (Too bad that they haven't!)
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Not. at. all.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• NO!! I vowed to raise any child of mine without the physical, emotional, and verbal abuse that was the way both my parents chose to raise us. I will never say SHUT UP to him, call him dirty names, make him feel awful and stupid if he makes any mistakes, or treat him badly because I already know how that feels. Give them lots of love and respect and you will get it back. I am no longer in contact with the family I grew up in BY MY CHOICE. My husband, son, dogs, and friends are my family!!!
    purplegerbera

Answer by purplegerbera at 8:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• In some ways yes. My mom was an amazing mother and caretaker. I cant say one bad thing about the way my mother raised me, she breastfed, made homemade baby food, put me in a carseat (LOL) and did a wonderful job.
    She is STILL doing a wonderful job as a mother and I hope that one day I can be as great of a mother as she is.
    MommyFlood

Answer by MommyFlood at 9:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• High-five MommyFlood!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• OH LORD YES LOL, I USE TO THINK I WOULD NEVER BE LIKE HER, (TEENAGE YEARS) BUT I THINK SHE KEPT ME OUT OF ALOT OF TROUBLE, SHE SHOWED UP AT A PARTIES WHEN I WASN'T HOME ON TIME AND I WAS AO MAD AT HER FOR THAT, BUT NOW THINKING IF MY DAUGHTER DID THAT, I WOULDN'T THINK TWICE ABOUT IT! I WOULD DO EXACTLY LIKE SHE DID!
    candice0521

Answer by candice0521 at 5:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2009