Need HELP with getting my 2 month old to take a bottle

Hey I'm a first time mother and I have a 2 month old girl that wont take a bottle at all. When i had her she was 3 weeks early and all she would take was a bottle and it was so hard to get her to nurse then she was doing good with both and now that i've started back up work she wont take a bottle for anyone she'll cry the whole time im at work which is only like 3 1/2 hours but she wont nurse very well in the morning cuz she so tired. but she wont take a bottle i've tryed all kinds of nipples and bottles and nothing seems to help so any advice or ways to get her to take a bottle would be greatly appreciated thank you very much

luckyambear

Asked by luckyambear at 8:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have the caregiver offer the bottle but use a medicine syringe or dropper to give the milk if she refuses...its ok and many babies have to do this...also use a suppi cup with the valve taken out and have the caregiver tip the cup
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It is breast milk in the bottle, right? The smell and taste of formula will make anyone cry. Lol. I've heard that having someone else offer it with a shirt or blanket that smells like mom is helpful. There are also different nipples. My friend had the same problem and said her DD finally took to a certain one that was more breast like. I'll ask her which and get back to you. But have you tried the brand Breastflo?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Adiri nurser is the one she said she likes.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I just ordered a breast flow bottle the other day and have been trying it and she seems to get it him her moth better then the others but went she goes to suck she puches it back out with her tounge or gags and starts fussing we've tryed the playtex drop-ins she use to take them every once in awhile but now she wont and will just cry to the point she just shakes and when i get home she latches right on to the breast
    luckyambear

Answer by luckyambear at 9:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You can keep trying. But gagging probably means the nipple is too long for her liking. Is anyone capable of taking her to you for nursing breaks? Or can you go get her?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• not really my work isnt the best place to be for a nursing mother and i dont get breaks cuz it only between 3-4 hours cuz i just started back work and its at a pet store taking care of all the animals so i have to shower before i feed her.
    luckyambear

Answer by luckyambear at 10:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Since you nursed her she most likely won't take a bottle from you, someone else has to teach her to drink from a bottle. It just takes time and patience she will get it.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Keep trying! You just need to find the right one! Maybe if YOU were the one to try to give it to her first, she may be more accepting. Please, whatever you do, though, do NOT do the sippy cup with the valve taken out idea that someone suggested. That's just like pouring it down the baby's throat and is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.
    Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 12:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Keep trying! My son did best with Avent bottles while I was at work. Later, we moved to the Evenflo bottles with the drop in liners and soft nipple.
    Good luck!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would go to the huge breastfeeding group here and do a search post on bottles(refusing bottles, won't take bottle, etc)... this question is asked a lot in there and there will be a ton of tricks to try.. That said, my daughter was the same way, and I ended up having to take her everywhere with me. A lot of people have said they had luck with the Adiri bottles. Now, at 7 months.. she finally doesn't cry the whole time if I go somewhere.. but she still doesn't like bottles, just chews them. It almost seemed like all of the nipples were too big for her mouth or something when she was as young as yours. Good luck!!
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 7:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2009