If you don't let your kids cry it out, what do you do when they're just screaming for attention?

What if you know that they're doing it just to see what you'll do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do the cry it out thing when he's just being a butt. I hate it, but I'm not gonna let him be the boss and get totally spoiled.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It depends on their age. Infants don't cry for attention, toddlers do. When my almost 3 year old does it, I ignore it or else I'm feeding into it. When my 7 month old does it, I will pick her up, because she's telling me she needs something.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my baby 5 months doesnt cry for attentio she is too young. babies odnt understand crying it out until they are about 1 1/2-2 years old.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• cries for attention? at what age? Little babies don't cry for attention, they cry bc they are afraid they have been abandoned. They need the security of knowing they are not alone. Children can grow up emotionally scarred by CIO bc they feel you abandoned them and it leads to personality disorders. They also can grow up and hate you for not providing them with the basic nurturing and comforting that all children deserve. For you who practice CIO, shame on you for the damage you are doing to your children
    Anonymous

• Anon, you don't know everything.
    Infants don't cry for no reason, but toddlers definitely do. They're called "fits."
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• William really never did. On occassion he has and it hasn't gotten very far. When he was in his terrible 2's he was a good kid.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Hmmm...that's a hard question. My 13 month old will sometimes cry just to get my attention. I won't ignore her. I'll finish whatever it is I'm doing then give her some attention. Why not? What would allowing her to cry accomplish? Besides teaching her that her mommy doesn't care about her enough to pay attention to her?

If she's crying because I've taken something harmful away from her, now that's a different story. She is angry...it's ok to be angry. So I let her be angry. She'll cry and follow me around, and then she'll stop crying within a minute or two.

I think my dd is at the age where she wants to be independent, but she still needs mom to be close by.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I do what I feel is best at the time. Most often I find myself giving in and looking for ways to entertain and bond, stressing a time limit during the activity, so my little one knows who is boss. Sometimes when our kids feel like they have even a little bit of control over a situation it really helps their mood and makes things more smooth. Someone once said to "pick your battles wisely".
    Anonymous

• i play the ignore game.. let her cry it out for 2 minutes, if she cries longer than that, I try a distraction toy/game. and continue between the two until she's forgotten what she was first upset about and happy again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009