Now that you're a parent, were your parents strict or laidback with you?

I say now that you're a parent because as we all know, when you're a kid your parents won't let you do aaaaaaaaaaaaanything! ("MAHM, I WANNA CANDY. MAHM, I WANNA GO TO THE MOVIES. MAHM, I WANNA BORROW THE CAR.")

=]

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know my dad was laid back until I was older then when I screwed up I saw the bad side and I never did it again. I think I am tough due to working with kids with special needs and knowing to much about positive/negative reinforcers. I tend to be tougher on him I expect more out of him then I do of my students.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My mom was more laid back, but my dad always seemed to have the last say. He was way more strict, set more rules, and if we broke them, we were grounded for it.
    I have a feeling I'll be the the more laid back one when she's older (she's only 4 and a half months) and my SO will be the disciplinarian.
    We'll even eachother out somehow lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I thought my parents were wicked strict as a teen, but now that I'm older, I'm glad they were. If they weren't, I would have easily ended up doing a lot of stuff that I would have regretted now!
    Anonymous

• I still think, as a kid, I was beaten for things that werent my fault or very minor, by my dad. MY mom intimidated alot of it, whether on purpose, or accident. She was very over protective, of me only, not so much my sisters. Things escalated when I became a teen, and most of the time, then, is when I deserved it. I still preferred to tell my mom stuff that was bad, and if she knew how my dad would react, she didnt tell him. I sometimes find myself getting mad at my son for minor things, and if I realize it, I do one thing my parents never did, apologize. For a long time I was mad at my parents, because I believed I was treated unfairly. I was raised differently than my sisters, for sure, and I look how I turned out, and how they did, and I'm kinda glad my parents did what they did. I certainly DONT want to do it just like that, but omething similar is what I have in mind for both children. My parents rock!!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Mine were strict. It only caused problems and my brother and I became worse as teens lol. They were very strict Christians. Did not believe in sex at all before marriage, we never got any info about safe sex or sex PERIOD. It wasn't for discussion.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My parents were quite strict. Dad more than Mom, but they were very strict. I plan to be similarly strict with my children in certain areas, but am def less strict in other ways.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My parents were very reasonable about rules, but they def taught me right from wrong....and I think I am similar with my kids. I would not call myself strict at all, but I do feel very strongly about teaching good values and good judgement.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009