how do i...

go about getting my son to take a nap during the day?? he takes maybe 2-30 minute naps and is up for 12 hrs. sleeps for about 10-12 at night. by the end of the day he is so overtired and crying that he doesn't know what he wants and i feel horrible because i know he is crying because he is tired. he falls asleep on me and wakes up as soon as i lay him down and is crying again. he sleeps great at night i just wish that during the day he would take a nap so i could get stuff done around the house..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter used to wake up every time i laid her down too but i just kept picking her and laying her back down or ill put her in her swing and shell doze off.. i just kept doing it and she finally got used to sleeping somewhere other than on my chest...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My son used to only take 3 - 20 minute naps during the day. I think that was around 5-6 months. Then after that he slowly started taking longer naps and then at 7 months until now at 11 months is taking 2 - 2 hour naps a day plus sleeping 12 hours a night.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like its time for Baby Boot Camp as I call it. I did this when my son was 6 months. You go put him down and let him cry go check on himbut dont pick him up about every 10 minutes. It took my son about 2 weeks straight it felt like of crying all night but its worth it cause if it nap time i go put him down and he naps its rough for a bit but its worth it!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• sometimes, they are really looking for you to spoil them. If you keep picking him up, then he might always do this. You have to deal with this, and put him in a dark room for nap time and bed time. Let him fuss and holler for about ten minutes, maybe a bit longer, and he will go to sleep. You keep giving him that attention, then that is what he will always expect.....
    Anonymous

• My son takes alot of short naps too..and is so tired by 8 that he can get fussy so I have to get him in bed by this time or its trouble....Maybe your babys sleep pattern is just short naps....but if your overstimulating him when hes really tired then he could be passing the window when he can fall asleep so this could be a problem? Just an idea. When my son is tired I can tell, he just looks with a bored face, rubs his head and eyes, yawns, and babbles this screeching noise as he falls asleep. So whenever he does these signs I put him down for a nap, usually its not more than 40 minutes but its good for him bc he wakes up happy after that. Just some thoughts, good luck! p.s....if baby is sleeping that long at night, be thankful:) I cant get alot done during the day but i put a swing in one room, bouncer upstairs, so that when i need to do something theres always something to entertain him.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:09 AM on Aug. 1, 2009