When your child started day care did he/she get sick alot?

My son started day care about a month ago. He's been sick ever since. He's had pink eye, sinus infections, viral infections. I was wondering if there's anyone else with the same problem. The doctor told me he's going to be like that for at least six months.

mateosmami2007

Asked by mateosmami2007 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son will not be going into daycare. i knew a woman who put her 3 yr old daughter in daycare and she got bacterial meningitas from one of the other kids. she almost died and they had to cut off one of her arms and both of her legs to stop the infection. kids get sick all the time in daycare.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• it depends on how good hte daycare is...my daycare would seperate sick kids....she would make sure she kept contact to a minimal for other kids...and she wasnt cruel about it...she made sure the kid that was sick had plenty to do! because of that my daughter RARELY got sick
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Kids do get sick in daycare. Bacterial meningitus (spelling) is extremely rare, and its a little ridiculous to assume not having your child go to daycare will prevent something like this. If so, guess you wont ever go to the park, or a pool, or the mall either. My daughter did get sick while in daycare. It sucks, but unfortunately, its sometimes necessary. I am grateful that I am staying at home now, but with the economy, I may be going back soon. Hope your son feels better. My advice, get a humidifier and good insurance. :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My daughter was a preemie so I was way too overprotective. The child never got sick. She only went to the dr. 3 times because she was sick before she was 3. When she was 3 I put her in a mother's morning out 2 days a week, and she got sick the first week. She was sick a lot in the first 4 or 5 months, then she stopped getting sick so much. Just as he gets older teach him to wash his hands and to cough and sneeze into his elbow.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• All three of my kids got sick more often for the first couple of months at daycare. It's a pain and annoying, but on other hand, but 9 &11 yr olds miss an average of 3 days of school a year from being sick. My 9 yr old even had a perfect attendance in the 3rd grade. My youngest is 4, but seems to be following in the footsteps of the other two.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Kids always get sick in daycare. I worked in daycare and I always got sick. The main reason (that I have seen from working in 4 different ones over the years) is that every center has parents that send their kids to daycare sick. They give them medicine in the morning and hope the kids last at least until after nap for us to call saying the fever is back so they get a whole day in, meanwhile, making everyone else sick. I just went back to work for 10 months and my two boys were pretty much sick all the time. I am so glad that we are all back at home and can finally get really healthy again.
    Anonymous