How can I become more financially disciplined?

I hate that I'm such a spendthrift.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• Set aside money for your bills in a checking account, keep $20 cash on you to last a week (not counting grocery expenses which you should figure in a set cash amount, and set that aside). My husband and I fill up our gas tanks, then put the rest of the money in the bank and do not touch it until we write out the bills (sometimes he does, so I steal his card so he cant use it). We keep $20 on us for emergency purchases, or sometimes my DH wants a slurpee or something, and that's it. I have to keep myself disciplined, it drives my hubs nuts cuz he loves to spend money, I like to look at it, lol. Try, if possible, to put another $20 away in savings per week for an emergency, or a large purchase, etc. Always keep $100 IN SAVINGS, and make a list when u go to the store and STICK TO IT.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Have your money put into a bank account and only withdraw a certain amount each week. Don't charge. I hear that labeling envelopes - food, bills, clothes, entertainment.. like that.. and putting cash in each envelop and when the envelop is empty, that's it until the next pay. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET!!! Don't go shopping for fun. Only go shopping when it is a NEED! Take only the money you will need to purchase the necessities. Don't take credit cards, bank cards, or checks with you. Budget! Join a budgeting group here on cafemom. I am sure you could get more specific help!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Beyond the traditional ways... Think HONESTLY for a moment... who is supporting you, will they always support you, do you have anything saved, what is your attitude towards emergency funds, your retirement, oops, helping yourself without anyone having to loan you money.... What is YOUR Foucs... It's all up to you, What do YOU REALLY Want & REALLY Have? Only you can look at reality and answer that truthfully. NOW, I pray it is a positive outlook for you.
    believeongod

Answer by believeongod at 8:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2009