He won't eat!

My little guy (5 months old) for the past few days freaks out at me every time I try to feed him. I thought that if I just waited a little longer between feedings that that would work, but he'll barely eat anything, then I'll wait 4 hours, he won't eat, 5 hours, he won't eat, 6 hours, eat for 6 or so minutes and then freak out at me. Today has been the worst, he's barely eaten at all! Does anyone know what could be wrong? I've given him gas drops and that doesn't seem to help either :( Poor little guy! I wish I knew what was wrong!

Asked by BabyLyons at 9:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you might want to look in his mouth and check for white patches...thrush. my little one got thrush (it's really common) and he would freak out when he nursed. it drove me crazy until I figured out what was wrong. you'll need to see your doc for a prescription for Nystatin or another anti-fungal to get rid of the thrush.

Answer by sbailey at 1:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Babyfood or bottle? If baby food maybe you are rushing him. If bottle call dr immediately

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• How/what are you feeding him?

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• He's breastfed

Answer by BabyLyons at 9:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• He won't nurse? Or are you feeding him jar food??? ceral? What is it he is not eating? If you are stricly nursing and he is refusing to he drinking anything from a sippy or bottle? Is he teething? I know mine never wanted to nurse when they were cutting a teeth and then when they did decide to eat then they would use me as a teething toy! OUCH. good luck. I hope he eats for you.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• He's nursing and only eats veggies every other day or so. He's not having a problem with the veggies when he does eat those, just when he's nursing

Answer by BabyLyons at 10:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Are you pumping or anything else to keep up supply? Maybe he's fussing because he isn't getting what he needs while nursing?

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• ohhh breastfed, get a pregnancy test your milk may taste funny. :)

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• A pregnancy test?

Answer by BabyLyons at 11:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Isaac does that sometimes too! He was about 5 months the first time and I freaked, thinking I didn't have enough milk or something but in a couple days he was back to normal. Sometimes if babies are teething or are getting an ear infection they don't want to nurse. Or sometimes they just have an off day. He always goes back to nursing normally though, I just have to kind've wait him out!

Answer by raimom at 1:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2008