If I get advantage for our cat, will the fleas die from our carpet?

I have seen 2 fleas, in the house (on me!) so I know we have a problem...

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 9:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• not sure about that but the fleas don't like the smell of eucalyptus so I use ODOBAN. It's great for making your room smell good and keeps the fleas away!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Just forget Advantage and start feeding your cat a clove of garlic once a week, blood sucking insects don't like garlic in their food supply =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The fleas in your house will not die from you putting advantage on your cat, but the fleas on the cat will die. You need to get some type of flea killer/powder for the house and use that (be careful around your small kids) Most of the time they have powder you can put down and then later vacuum up. Keep the cat clean and up to date with the flea meds and the fleas should stay away. If it is really only a couple fleas in the carpet, they will die out on their own. But usually when you are seeing fleas in the house, there are many more than you think. Fleas are attracted to white. In whatever room you suspect there are the most fleas, put a piece of computer paper down on the floor and stand there for a few minutes and watch it. If you have a lot of fleas, they will get on that paper. Hope this helps.
    Elizabethsma631

Answer by Elizabethsma631 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• even if you get them off the cat...you need to get them out of the house completely...fleas can breed and live in the carpet for over a month...so even if you get them off the pet, they will just be in the carpet and go right back to the cat....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I used advantage for a few doses, and had the house exterminated. We haven't had fleas for years now. Before, I couldn't get rid of them. We tried having the house exterminated and had the cats given flea shampoos at the vets, and it didn't work. The advantage and extermination did.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No, I don't think advantage will get rid of fleas that are already in your carpet. I can't remember what it's called, but there is a carpet treatment.....I think it's a powder, and you have to use it in every nook and corner, or the fleas will just move to the untreated areas.

Good Luck!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No it won't kill the fleas on the carpet if you kill then on your cat. You can try salt on the carpet before you go to sleep and in the morning vacuum it up. When the fleas walk over it they will die. you have to do this for 1-2 weeks.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• How would I get my cat to eat garlic? I do and I still get bitten by skeeters if I'm out at twilight. Curious.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You need to treat the carpet and furnishings in your home, as well as your cat. We had a nasty bout with fleas many years ago, and the only way we solved it was by evacuating our home for a day (including the cats) and setting off a couple of those fogger bombs. It was drastic, but it worked like a charm. I don't think the powders are as effective. Afterward, the cats were bathed and treated for fleas, and we had no more problems.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• dedicatedrider -- Just forget Advantage and start feeding your cat a clove of garlic once a week, blood sucking insects don't like garlic in their food supply =)

Only if you want the cat to DIE! Garlic causes anemia in Feline-Americans, just as it does dogs.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2414

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm

Try Brewer's Yeast -- http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf486741.tip.html  which is not freaking TOXIC to the cat.   Get a box of 20 Mule Team Borax from the laundry aisle at walmart and use that on your carpets. Sprinkle it in good, let it sit, vacuum it back up.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2009