How does TRICARE STANDARD work?

I called Tricare but the woman didnt seem interested in talking to me about tricare standard. Like she didnt feel like it and im still lost in how it works. I called 2 days ago because i wanted to see if i could afford it, my husband is a SPC E-4, he only works and i dont. we have two daughters and one on the way, ( 5 weeks preg) How much is it? how much are the bills and do i get one every month? I want to see this Midwife off post from Madigan (fort lewis, wa) but they wont let me so i have this orientation august 6. i heard horror stories and i know they are true. I dont want to be pushed around in the things i want for my newborn. If you have tricare standard and you are E-5 and below, how do you pay for it? Do you get a loan out and just do it like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• have you tried looking on the website. im tricare prime so im not sure how standard works
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Tricare is shitty. We have Standard until..September I think. I do know that you sometimes have to file claims on your own with Standard.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The website does not give me any clear answers and its just one page. I cant find a good website that talks about it and breaks it down the way i can understand it
    Anonymous

• Is your husband on Active Duty? If so your family should automatically be on Prime. Standard sucks. You have an enormous cost share and you have to do all your own paperwork.
    Anonymous

• You a yearly deductable for your family. It is between 500-1000 depending on rank. The deductable is billed in increaments from the dr's office. Once you reach the deductable mark then you don't pay anymore the rest of the year. The tricare year is Oct-Oct. Once you disenroll from prime you automatically go to Standard. I have never had to file any claims and have been on standard for 5 years. You can message me if you have any more questions. Also if you need an OB Pheobe HO is an awesome dr!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have never had to do any paperwork other then to disenroll from prime and my cost has never been more then 1000 for the fiscal year and that included OB and labor and delivery. Also we have 2 kids.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Try this website
    http://www.military.com/benefits/tricare/tricare-standard/tricare-standard-overview
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I love standard. The deductible 150 for the family. And the doctor files papers for u. They don't pay for a midwife though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Don't active duty members and their families get medical care on base or at the post hospital clinic? Why would you need Tricare if you are active duty?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• tricare is the military insurance for military family members. there are different types of it. standard it extremely flexable as in you dont need referals and you get to choose your dr. you have a deductable with standard not with prime
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 1, 2009