How to transtion a 21 month old from a crib to a toddler/crib bed

I am trying to transition my daughter to a toddler/ crib bed because I have another baby on the way that will be here in a few months. I took of the side this after noon and left the door open so she could get used to the idea. She also has a normal toddler bed in her room that has been there for a few months now. I lay her in it and she starts crying and screaming as I walk away> I then layed with her to see if she'd fall asleep with me there so she would be more comfortable and all she did was cry. I feel really bad for letting her cry at the door. Can anyone give me any suggestions.

konstance_ann

Asked by konstance_ann at 9:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make it fun.

Let her pick out some new character sheets for it. Let her sit on it and read to her. Praise her for being such a big girl while she's on it.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 9:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The first few nights my daughter was in a toddler bed, we had played really hard that day so she was very very worn out. That way when I put her down she went right to sleep (or put them in the bed after they are asleep) When she woke up she realized it wasnt that big of a deal and was fine after that. Now naptime is another story! We are constantly battling to get her to stay in her bed. I think because its light in there and she can see her room and her toys. When we first transitioned her, we also had the bed in the living room just so she could see it and get in it and play in it. We let her pick out the bedding and new pajamas and made sure she new what a big girl she was and that only big girls sleep in a big girl bed. Keep a gate on her door or the bedroom door closed if you have a monitor so she cannot get out of the room while you are sleeping or otherwise unaware. Hope this helps.
    Elizabethsma631

Answer by Elizabethsma631 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my daughter(20months)did the same thing in here toddler bed. this might make a difference some children have a blanket or binky, my daughter still takes a bottle(i tried taking it away but 2wks of being up all was enough for me)because she still takes a bottle it might have been easier for me. I tried at 14 months and 15 months she was affraid of her toddler bed. so at 16 months i put our guest bed in her room a double bed gave her a bottle and neve looked back, in the same day i took the crib out of her room so she had no choice but to sleep there. but since my daughter was 2 month old she will only sleep in her bed. that was her choice i tried rocking her and holdng her it never worked. it all depends on the child and their sleeping habits.
    paytonbelle1116

Answer by paytonbelle1116 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't have any advive for the transition, but I do have 1 HUGE piece of advice. If she is going to be in a bed that she can get out of by herself you need to do a few things for precautions. You need to put a lock at the top of the front door that she cannot reach, because you may not think she can unlock the door but she will surprise you. You also need to put slide locks at the tops of all of the doors to rooms that you do not want her in alone like the laundry room. I did this with my daughter because my best friends son got up by himself and opened the front door and went for a walk at about 23 months. I also sleep really lightly so I put newspapers on the floor in front of my daughter's bed so I would hear them when she got out of bed. Even with a baby monitor you may not hear then get out of bed.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When we were in the process of moving, our daughters bed matress wound up on the floor for a few weeks, and she loved it! easy acess, no bars, she could take toys on/off her bed whenever she wanted, and no falling off, only rolling. when we finally got settled and it was time for the crib again, we transitioned it into a toddler bed, even though she was still too short to be able to get in and out of it without a stool. I started putting lots of pillows, stuffed animals, ect. on the floor next to her if she fell off, now 2 months later, she doenst fal off anymore!

toddelers need independence, but they still sometimes need to know the comfot of the womb has not gone far. i suppose the trick is waking the line in between.
    Anonymous