What are the rules in your neighborhood?

I live on a cul de sac. I am the house everyone flocks to and on any given day there may be 5-10 kids of all ages playing out front. I just heard from a neighbor that this annoys some of the others in the cul de sac. I am wondering if I am breaking some unwritten rules here. The kids are ages 10 and up so I am not out there. These are kids that live close by, but not in one of the 5 houses in the cul de sac. If you were my neighbor, would this bother you? What could I do differently? BTW- we have a trampoline and soccer goals in the backyard so they play back there as well.

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It can be annoying when you live nextdoor to the house where all the kids gather. You said that they are 10 and older and you are not out there. So maybe you are not out there when one of them cusses out loud or drops their trash in front of or on the neighbors lawns. It is irritating when they all flock to one house. It means everyone else is enjoying there quiet and your neighbors can't. Limit it to 2 days a week. I had to put a stop to all of the kids on our street co-mingling in front of my yard with my son. It went from 2 little friends to the 12,13,14,15 year olds standing and playing there. I would watch them like every 10 minutes and would hear the cussing and see the mess they were leaving. I was finding their ice cream and candy wrappers, bottles and soda cans stuffed in the hedge I have around my yard. Good luck, I felt bad for my neighbors when I really spied on the kids. My son stays in the yard now.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Why exactly does it bother them?
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They say the kids are too loud and have too many things out there like hockey sticks and bikes and scooters. They move when cars come, but they are all over the place. I love the sound and sight of kids, but maybe others do not. These people have kids but they are either much younger or much older. This is mid day/early evening stuff and I admit on the weekends they can be out there ALL day!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'd have to look at our HOA's CC&Rs to see if there actually are rules, but there are a lot of people around here who have kids that play. No biggie to me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• There is nothing in our HOA, I just meant the unwritten rules of life that I may not know about ;)
    Like I said, I love the sight/sound of kids-but maybe I am not "normal". I am not sure if I have the "power" to tell kids they can not play in the cul de sac -they are there sometimes when my kids are out-but I guess this all started when we moved in 5 years ago (kids in the cul de sac) and I am just hearing about it now!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my next door neighbors are like that and yes, it is annoying. but if they're not in my yard i really don't have the right to complain about it without just looking like a straight up b!tch (which i really am lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• What annoys you specifically, is there anything the neighbor could do or is it you just are not a fan of big groups of kids? Am I too worried about this or what?? I would love to go to the neighbors, but I do not want to break the confidence of the first neighbor or accuse anyone of being a bitch.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Tell them to bite you. Would they rather the kids be out doing drugs in the local skate park?
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Seriously, they need to get over it. When their kids are older they won't have a problem with it then. It's just that their kids are younger so they don't understand and can't relate. I wouldn't care, especially if no one had the balls to say it to your face. And if and when they do, ask them what allans girl said..

Continue letting them have their fun.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Maybe I will peak out more often and see if they are bothering others property. Trash is not an issue because I would see that. How comfortable were you telling other kids where they can and can not play? It is a cul de sac and the kids live up the way, do I have the "right" to tell them they can not play there?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009