10 weeks pregnant, suffering HORRIBLE allergies - is it just me?

Sneezing, coughing, eyes watering, I keep thinking it might be a cold, but it doesn't get better. Anyone else out there have allergies that got MUCH worse with pregnancy?

Yellen

Asked by Yellen at 10:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine did in the first trimester! I would ask the doc for a safe allergy medicine.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• yes. cats always kind of bothered me, but when i was pregnant, we had to send the cat to my MILs and hire someone to deep clean the house, it was horrible. i also had hay fever and bronchitis much more often. and even though you have a list of what is okay, I always felt bad about taking medicine. : (
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had horrible allergies in my first trimester.. Took clairitin for it as recommended by my doctor
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• welcome to pregnancy !! i've been like that since day one and i am still like that at 31wks i dont even bother taking anything for it anymore nothing really helped me
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 10:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Mine definitely got worse..it did not help that we visited my husband family (whom are obsess with animals)so much. Mine were so bad I had to be admitted several times but I also have asthma so after being expose to the animals three days later I was in the ER.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• YES! Mine were so bad the whole pregnancy and my doctor just told me to get a humidifier for it. I was miserable because I couldn't breathe and nothing worked.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Depends on where I live. But my allergies seemed to be non-existant this year which was AWESOME. Claritin and Benadryl are approved for prego ladies.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 12:50 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Oh yeah that happens all the time. I know mine got so bad I had to take off almost a week of work! since I hadn't gone to the dr yet the only thing i could do was saline spray and tylenol.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thank you all SO much for posting! I'm not allergic to pets or foods or anything, but I do have allergies that I would normally be able to quell with my prescription meds. Take those away and add pregnancy and I am a great big sneezy mess. I've been using this "neti pot" that someone recommended, plus just plain claritin and benadryl (only at night), but not much appears to be working. I definitely feel better knowing that I'm not the only one, though - they sure don't write about this in all the pregnancy books I've got.
    Yellen

Answer by Yellen at 12:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009